Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallfrye

Tools and toys

I'm re learning this skill and need some advise on basic tools and all the toys to tie with. I see some real nice tools from drslick and several high end companies but what are the solid quality, reasonably priced sources?

My new hobbie is saltwater flats fishing, so most of my hooks will be #2-4 or larger. I just picked up a Renzetti traveler but need most everything else.

Any advise is welcome and if anyone has a good tool kit at a great price or surplus materials, let me know.

Thx

Jim

I'd get a couple of bobbins, a whip finish tool (Materelli type), hackle pliers, scissors, a hair stacker, a bobbin threader, a bodkin. Others needed I probably can't think of, but you'll discover them. I don't tie saltwater flies, so there are probably some I don't know about.

Scissors, you'll want at least two pair. One good pair and one for the tough stuff. I like the DR Slicks and Rubis brand, but I haven't purchased new scissors in awhile, so I don't know the new players.

I find a razor blade indispensable.

A UV light and the associated curable resin is a nice addition to any bench.

If you're going to make a lot of bait fish and dubbed flies a brush making block is something you want to look at making/buying.

If you have a well-stocked fly shop within reasonable distance, I think it's worth examining some tools in person. A tool that feels good in hand to one tyer may be quite disagreeable to another.

Bobbin: One is all you need to get re-started, and it might be all you need indefinitely. Setting aside budget constraints (none mentioned), I'd certainly consider the Tiemco Ceramic Bobbin, possibly in the heavy duty configuration for #4 and larger SW patterns you'll tie. Granted, bobbins are simple tools, but this is a well made example. The high quality ceramic tube will get along with any tying thread you choose, and since it's a full ceramic tube, threading it is fast and usually simple w/o a threader. Not cheap, but not especially expensive relative to other high quality bobbins are the market. If this is still above budget, Griffin offers good quality ceramic insert bobbins for half the cost.

Rite bobbins tend to be popular among tyers of larger flies. Rite offers its one-armed, adjustable tension bobbins in several heavy duty options. They're a bit bulky compared to traditional wire-framed bobbins so might get along better with larger hands. This would be a good tool to examine in person first if considering.

Scissors: Saltwater tying means cutting some tougher materials, including an array of synthetics. Dr Slick 4-1/2" Hair Scissors are inexpensive and would function as a good, general purpose scissors with tips fine enough for saltwater flies. Not wicked sharp but sharp enough, serrated and robust enough to hold up for quite a while with reasonable care. If you're tying EP baitfish patterns, then perhaps a "razor" type scissors would trim easier. As stated above, you'll extend the life of your "better" scissors if you keep a "lesser" scissors handy for cutting the tough, hard materials that wear the edge down quickly. As you rotate in new scissors over time, your worn "better" scissors can become workhorses for general abuse.

Miscellany: Vise, bobbin and scissors are requisite IMO. The need for peripheral tools is highly individual to tying style and type. Razor blades, both single edged and their (sharper) double edged siblings, are good to have on hand. If you need a hair stacker (and I can see how a SW tyer would be fine w/o one), be sure to get one large enough to handle the larger and longer hair bundles for SW tying. Among "magnum" stackers, Chris Helm and Peak offer the two largest available. Renzetti has a smaller R-Evolution Magnum stacker that is less money and appears to be of versatile size. You might find use for a good comb for brushing out synthetics or yarn, or for combing out short hairs and underfur if you tie with hair.

Welcome back to tying.

Thanks to all for the advise. To date my tying history; my first kit cost $13 from the Herter's company and consisted of a Thompson vise, all the tools and basic materials. Now a simple tool can cost as much.

The patterns back then were traditional limestone creek nymphs in spring and an array of dry mayfly patterns for summer. Now I 'm "throwing" weighted crack patterns that would scare most creek fed trout but then I 'm catching 6-12# redfish, snook, ladyfish and hooking (never landing)an occasional baby tarpon.

Very different but still the same.....

That thompson vise (I use a model A) along with a couple bobbins (I can live without one, but theyre nice) and a bodkin is all I use for 99.9% of what I do, along with a cheap pair of india-made scissors. A sharp razor blade can work as well as scissors, in its way.

I'm not sure what special stuff your particular sort of tying may require, but I like keepin things simple. Minimalism is part of the fun for me!

If you have a well-stocked fly shop within reasonable distance, I think it's worth examining some tools in person. A tool that feels good in hand to one tyer may be quite disagreeable to another.

Bobbin: One is all you need to get re-started, and it might be all you need indefinitely. Setting aside budget constraints (none mentioned), I'd certainly consider the Tiemco Ceramic Bobbin, possibly in the heavy duty configuration for #4 and larger SW patterns you'll tie. Granted, bobbins are simple tools, but this is a well made example. The high quality ceramic tube will get along with any tying thread you choose, and since it's a full ceramic tube, threading it is fast and usually simple w/o a threader. Not cheap, but not especially expensive relative to other high quality bobbins are the market. If this is still above budget, Griffin offers good quality ceramic insert bobbins for half the cost.

Rite bobbins tend to be popular among tyers of larger flies. Rite offers its one-armed, adjustable tension bobbins in several heavy duty options. They're a bit bulky compared to traditional wire-framed bobbins so might get along better with larger hands. This would be a good tool to examine in person first if considering.

Welcome back to tying.

DSCN9330.jpg

There are so many different ones out there, just have to find the right one that feels good in your hand.

a lot of good advice, I wish I had it before I started back. I bought a tool kit. Don't. I couldn't figure out how to use the whip finisher so I bought a Materelli, I had used that before, I also replaced the vise, and the dubbing spinner. Buy what you need at what you can afford and you won't waste money by buying tools you don't need or buying twice. good luck