Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

trolling flys

Has anyone tried this? i think it might work for catching pike in the shallows. It would be a great way to cover alot of water quickly and it keeps the fly in the water longer. Would it be better to use a small trolling motor or paddle?

Sure, lots of people have tried trolling streamers. It's a natural. I've done it from a float tube and from a canoe. No reason a small boat with a trolling motor wouldn't work too. It's just another way of presenting a fly.

I'd suggest using an intermediate sinking or full sinking line. It probably would also be a good idea to add some weight to the fly. Clousers are great for this, but I also use classic feather wing streamers with a couple of split shot to help get them down.

Guest rich mc

I have trolled in a canoe . it was the only way to catch fish as we couldn't retrieve fast enough by hand . this was by ding darling refuge in fl. rich

been done through out new England since the beginning of fly fishing in America, and over seas before that.

I have caught lots of trout in lakes by trolling a nymph on a full sinking line behind a rubber raft. The Carey Special is dynamite fished that way.

Trolling is the traditional way of catching landlocked salmon in lakes in Maine. In the old days you used to do it with a canoe and a paddle. Tough work. Most people use a trolling motor now days. When I used to fish the spring landlocked run in Aziscohos Lake we would fish in the river in the morning and evening and troll the lake in the afternoon with sinking lines and trolling flies.

Steve

I know this sounds strange but troll a crease fly on a fast sinking line. A shiny crease fly looks like a Rapala and catches about everything we have down here. Use only about 4' of leader.

I had to look through one of my e-books for this tip.

KAYAK FLY FISHING---Trolling a Fly
Kayak Fishing Tip # 137.

When moving from spot to spot, why not troll? I usually troll the fly I intend to fish with when I reach my destination.

Simply dragging a fly or lure behind your yak will catch fish but there is a much better way. Cast your fly 30-60 feet and lay the rod across your lap, with the rod over one leg and under the other. You don’t need a rod holder. Grasp the fly line between the reel and stripping guide in the hand to which the rod tip is extended then start paddling. With each paddle stroke, you strip the fly a foot or two giving it life like action. You can easily set the hook when a fish strikes by giving the line a firm yank.

Clousers really jig and Spoon Flies wobble. A Crease Fly, fished on a sinking line just may be the best of all.

I fish and troll a lot from my kayaks, and I can not see how you could hold a rod with your legs as described and paddle at the same time? You would hit your rod on each paddle stroke.