Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Schell

Tube flies for saltwater inshore fishing

Take a look at Pete Gray's Phly Welding. He does a lot of tubes for salt water.

Cheers,

C.

I agree, his flies are top notch. The chartreuse grizzly fly I posted above is welded following his technique.

At the risk of sounding ignorant. What is the advantage of tube flies? I almost totally skipped this thread but I must say that the flies posted look great. I always thought the tube flies looked funky and different. I see that at least one of the posted pics shows a treble being used.

Ditz, there are a few advantages; IMHO, the biggest one being that you can increase the length of the fly without having to resort to long-shanked hooks. Not so important in fresh water, but huge in the salt, where long fights with powerful fish are common. Another example would be that it's very difficult to get the proper proportions on a squid fly without a long-shanked hook, tandem rig or a tube. Squid have a long body and short tentacles, but most of the standard squid patterns out there are the opposite. Tubes are great in that regard. You can also change hooks easily. There are other differences, but the advantages are minor. As far as trebles go, that's mostly a European thing. Trebles are illegal in most North American fly-fishing-only waters, and they're dangerous as hell in salt water, with the winds, etc. If I had a dollar for every time I've been skulled with a fly, I'd be driving a Lexus instead of a Toyota. If I'd been using trebles, my nickname would be "Scarface" instead of "Dipshit."

Ditz, Pete covers the main points of a tube. The other big thing is that the dressed portion (the tube) is often thrown up the line away from the hook so the fish dont rag it about badly and it lasts longer. I'm not sure if its this thread that comments on some toothy fish hitting this flying tube and biting the line; but I would say being able to change a blunted hook or a damaged hook without loosing my whole fly is also a great positive to the tube fly in salt water.

Dave, good looking streamers. How do you get the front of the tube to melt like that without closing up? They look great although some lipstick on them may dress them up even nicer, look like big lips...

To keep the end open when you melt the tube isn't a problem. If it closes, just warm up your bodkin and open it up again.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks to Piker and Peter for the info. ......Thanks again to the Pee's :)

Kirk, you can get a nice flare on the end of the tube by moving it carefully near the side of the flame, not actually touching it. It takes very little heat to do the job in a fraction of a second. You've just gotta be quick - sorta like when you reach down to tie your shoes and find out you've stepped on a cottonmouth.

Gotcha PJ, I did a few poppers with tubes and put the soft tubing on the front end but I like the rolled back melt technique; save on soft tubing too.

We'll let Dave talk about lipstick on those big lipped flies.

Thanks,

Kirk

I see the big lip secrets out…I actually heat the tube with the adapter still in place, I just pull it back a smidge before heating. This ensures a round hole and allows you to control the size of the lip…Is that strange sounding or what?

monkey-butt-lips_zps5819a163.jpg

Sounds to me like Daves opening a circumcision clinic. Trying to make it sound all softy softy.

If you hold your tube vertically and the flame horizontal over it, gravity helps you create a nice equal round end to the tube. No funny runny edges or sloppy lips.....

Sounds to me like Daves opening a circumcision clinic.

Hey, don't knock it - my first job out of high school was a knife grinder in a circumcision clinic. Forty skins a week as I recall. Not a bad gig except for all the screaming.

BTW - you guys should be aware that Dave's extremely sensitive on the subject of lips. I mean, being born with three pairs and all. He's the only guy I know who can sing three-part harmony in the shower.

post-281-0-45359300-1397510709_thumb.jpg

Haha you guys are a trip... I love stopping by here when I'm bored. Always good for a laugh. :) Dave I never thought I'd say it but I think I'd rather kiss that monkeys ass then those big lips on that cross dressed looking beauty...