Fly Tying
kjwhit

Which type of CCG?

Hydro is their only product that cures tack free. I have been using it for a while now, and it's pretty slick stuff.

Are you sure you got the tack free stuff? Not their old stuff that they say has a tacky finish and recommend to coat with Sally Hansen?

I will put up my hand as i am a ccg user, it is just what i bought early on - when it runs out i will try a different product as i heard some great ones around, and if anyone wants to send me any free stuff to try well i am all for that smile.png

Specifically i am using CCG 'tack free' for flies such as surf candies and just the led lamp that came with a kit, here are a few thoughts i may have mentioned in another thread.

1. Temperature and humidity will effect the cure time and tackyness, i found hot and humid conditions can leave the finish sticky.

2. Do not zap with the light so close to start, work your way in closer as you cure.

3. The fix that works for me is to just leave the flies in the window for a day or so (i really am in no rush to fish my flies), then apply 1 coat of essie, wait at least an hour, do another coat of essie, now put it back in the window for another day, if it is still tacky do another coat but honestly by now they should be rock hard and clear like glass.

4. Here is an important one, i have the lamp that takes 3xAAA batteries, now i have found these to 'die' really quickly so make sure u have fresh batteries, i think my best results came from some energizer lithiums, but if that lamp is dimming it is time to change otherwise you could be curing for 5 mins or more.

Here is some info for CCG 'Hydro'

1. Use a very thin coat as i believe this is what it is intended for

2. It is the least fickle of the products i use from CCG

3. It is not tacky at all, often just a quick top coat of essie and you are set, plus it cures rock hard perhaps with slight film that is easily fixed (the film seems random some flies i need to essie after, some not). The essie/ sally will fix it no worries

4. Makes killer heads on salmon patterns!

I have no issues with the product because if i jump through the hoops i get the desired result, you just have to rely on your batteries and essie/ sally topcoats.

Unfortunately all this is like speaking russian to me. I don't understand a word of what your saying smile.png

Perhaps a picture will help.

The tack is the uncured peroxy radical R-O-O

OxygenInhibitionFig1_zps5147bccf.jpg

One strategy to solve the problem is to remove an O atom from the peroxy radical R-O-O to form R-O which can completely cure. So what is needed is a resin precursor with active hydrogen or another chemical with active hydrogen.

Screenshot2014-03-04at35228PM_zpsbc40a1b

Hey Silver you seem to know the chemistry but am i right in saying this is an exothermic reaction?

Hey Silver you seem to know the chemistry but am i right in saying this is an exothermic reaction?

It is exothermic and that is why the thickness of the resins is important. Cure time and resin thickness must be balanced. The thicker the resin, the slower it must cure to allow the heat to escape. If a thick resin cures too fast, the heat gets trapped and the resin can overheat and discolor. Thinner resins can be formulated to cure faster because the ratio of surface area to volume is greater when the resin goes on thin.

I wanted a fast cure resin so my resin is a bit thinner than CCG thin. It is formulated to cure fast but not overheat. So fly tiers can finish the flies faster because the resin cures faster.

I agree hydro is different stuff for different purposes. I don't use if for shell backs but more for small heads and wings or eyes cuz it's so thin more like a polish than an epoxy. I still like thicker stuff to build a bit of a hump on my backs but it never cures tack free.

hydro has never cured tack free for ME! neither does any "tack free" from diamond hard

all i use today is silvercreeks brand. it does what it says. cures tack free

yes i'm using the ccg light

and the bug bond light

and the diamond hard light

and the uv light from true value hardware store

but they all cure silvercreeks brand of uv resin tack free. at least for ME!

all lights were purchased as the recommended light for each brand of uv resin except i did not buy silvercreeks recommended light. i had 4 others one of the had to cure his resin.

each light cured its brand of resin, just not tack free

I got my Silvercreek delivery last week and I can say it is EXCELLENT stuff. I used it on some wing cases and it is totally tack free. Best price, best product. I will be buying more in the future for sure. At the rate I am using it I'll need it soon! Won't use anything else. Works with a light well and took it out in the sun and bam it was cured almost instantly.