Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Redfish Alien

That is a buggy looking fly for sure, I like the silicone legs a bunch.....movement. I bet it will be hammered by the reds. I think up here in the Northeast stripers would eat it as well.

Great looking tie. Think you might have a bit of trouble with fouling? I find those flimsy materials and long legs are a bit problematic at times.

Reds will chase it though !!

Fred

Thanks Mike, just hope they work better than the aliens I met in the 70's…They did nothing but probe blink.png

Hmmm ... at how many parties did you "meet" these aliens? Did ALL the other people at the party turn into aliens after a few drinks ... or hits?

Yeah, I hope this fly is less "probe-like", and more "munchies-like" for the fish.

Yeah like that. Do you use zap a gap for the eyes? How durable is it?

Super glue gel to secure and then coated with UV epoxy. Should be bullet proof, placed a thin coat all around eyes and thread.

That is a buggy looking fly for sure, I like the silicone legs a bunch.....movement. I bet it will be hammered by the reds. I think up here in the Northeast stripers would eat it as well.

Thanks, I found it on the 10K islands web site. It's supposed to imitate shrimp, crabs, and small minnows. Tied them up in three colors will see how they work come spring.

Great looking tie. Think you might have a bit of trouble with fouling? I find those flimsy materials and long legs are a bit problematic at times.

Reds will chase it though !!

Fred

I really don't know…I think the legs will have the greatest potential, the body is EP streamer brush and the wing is reverse slinky blend, I think it will be ok. I also tied some with EP glow in the dark material, that seems likely to foul from time to time.

Thanks Mike, just hope they work better than the aliens I met in the 70's…They did nothing but probe blink.png

Hmmm ... at how many parties did you "meet" these aliens? Did ALL the other people at the party turn into aliens after a few drinks ... or hits?

Yeah, I hope this fly is less "probe-like", and more "munchies-like" for the fish.

I'm a munchies kind of guy tongue.png

I have used super glue and UV top but saw on the 10k site he gives zap a gap as only fix and wondered. I'm not too big a fan of the look I get with ca/uv

Awesome tie Dave. That looks like it will drive the reds wild. The back sili legs may have the most trouble with fouling but I would suppose the fibers of the top wing could help prevent that

I have used super glue and UV top but saw on the 10k site he gives zap a gap as only fix and wondered. I'm not too big a fan of the look I get with ca/uv

I like the gel because it does not soak into the material like the ca. Another option is a glue called "fletch tite", a glue used by archers to secure fletching to arrows. This is my favorite and probably the strongest option.

Awesome tie Dave. That looks like it will drive the reds wild. The back sili legs may have the most trouble with fouling but I would suppose the fibers of the top wing could help prevent that

Thanks Andy. I'm thinking it will do well, I hate having to clear material every couple of casts.