Fly Tying
Hans Weilenmann

Rusty Muddler

The Rusty Muddler is a simple no-nonsense muddler style pattern - all work and little flash ;-)

rusty_muddler.jpg

Rusty Muddler

Hook: Partridge GS3 #10 (or equivalent streamer hook)

Thread: Black 6/0

Body: Brite Blend, burnt orange

Wing: Lemon woodduck, tied hugging the body

Head/collar: Deer hair, sparse

Cheers,

Hans W

I tied a half dozen muddlers for a friend this morning and I thought that I had seen all of them that I cared to see for a while but I was wrong. That is a great looking creation and I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

Love the deer hair head on this Muddler. Not enough hair to make the fly float all day yet enough hair to cause a disturbance when stripped through the water. Nice to see what I call a "fishing Muddler" instead of a "show Muddler" with enough packed deer hair into the head to float a small ship. I like the whole color combo also. In fact I'm going to tie a few of these right now :-)

How do you tie the deer hair on so sparse like that?

Start with the amount of hair you want to use, spin to encircle the shank 360 degrees. Push butts back, fix their angle with thread pressure and whip finish. Use scissers to rough-shape the head.

I like it.....I am going to try a couple and maybe even try my hand at an olive version. I have always had success with shades of olive for smallmouth.

That looks like it would catch fish!

I go to a Lake in June called Hihuim in the interior of B.C. That we have been using a sparsely tied gold bodied Muddler . We also tie orange caddis imitations, this would cover both bugs!

I don't have burnt orange brite but I will try burnt orange seal?