Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
captkenroy

Handy DIY fishing tool

Flyfishing Tip # 113.

Multipurpose Tool (DIY)

Here is a little gizmo that will make your fly tying a lot easier. If you've ever tied a deer hair bug,chances are, you have used a "Brassie" to pack the deer hair tightly.

I couldn't find my Brassie last night and happened to notice my nail clipper/eye buster in my fly box. The notch (eye puster) made a great substitute for the Brassie.

Now I have a 3 in 1 tool, clipper for thread, leader and material, an eye buster for removing paint from the eye of flies and jigs and a spun hair tightner all in one small package.

Here is how to make your own. Remove the pin from a pair of nail clippers and spread the jaws open far enough to where you can file a notch in each jaw with a tiny triangular file. Here is what the finished product should look like.

post-50879-0-24861300-1393464194_thumb.jpg

I think I have an old pair of toe nail clippers that should work nicely as it is larger and should enable a better grip and possibly a tighter pack.

That's a great idea, Capt.

I'll be filling down an old nail clipper as soon as I get home. If I can't find an old one, I'll just get one of those that sits in the Wife's cabinet. She'll understand.

I like it. Is there a reason the notch is off center?

Look at clippers from the top ... the lever pin is directly center. On long hooks, you'd be pushing at an angle if you put the notches in the center.