Fly Tying
Troutbum11

Helgramite Imitation

Just attempted at tying up some hellgramites but they didn't come out too well. Trying to come up with a good pattern for them for a river I fish in the summer. What pattern do you use to imitate this critter?

Thanks!!

Woolly Bugger. That was its original intent, and it does a fine job. Doesn't need to be overly complicated. If you feel you must add complexity, then the Clouser Helgramite is a great one. Another famous and effective one is Harry's Helgramite, which is just a Woolly Bugger with an ostrich herl tail instead of marabou, but it's not different enough from a WB to really worry about.

I'm with J. I keep my nymphs as simple as possible. So much so that I began tying about 90% of all of my nymphs in the round. for hellgiesi like a marabou tail (short), a chenille body, and some soft Hale thrown in a little back from the head. I've found in my waters that color and size are the two most important things. Match the general shape and there is really nothing left.

Steve

What are the tails made of? Chamois? felt? I saw where you can purchase them pre-cut, but what's the fun in that.

Tim

post-37228-0-90263000-1393518343_thumb.jpg

post-37228-0-08857700-1393517531_thumb.jpg

post-37228-0-61973600-1393518389_thumb.jpg

post-37228-0-39874500-1393518433_thumb.jpg

post-37228-0-72101600-1393518463_thumb.jpg

None of these have been tested by me and are still in R&D. The ones with foam rings are intended to float the head end, for better visibility, while the tail end remains on the bottom. They were tied on a length of heavy line so they can also flex in the current.

I tie this Stonefly pattern on a longer shank hook sometimes to imitate Hellgies, but frankly not sure the longer hook is really necessary. I've caught plenty of Smallmouths on it, and it really doesn't matter why they eat it, but they do.

100_4109-1.jpg

Pattern Recipe:
Hook: Togen's Black Nickel Curved Shank, size 2
Thread: Black ( I use Danville Flat Waxed Nylon)
Bead: Tungsten, or Brass
Tail & Legs: Silicone or rubber
Under Body: Rabbit Dubbing ( black, olive/black, olive) Hareline makes some great dubbings, such as Haretron that can be used.
Ribbing: Transparent black vinyl, something with a rounded surface. ( originally Swannandaze)
Thorax: 2 wraps of Estaz. Opalesccent black, or olive

Wrap the dubbing by whatever method you prefer, and pick it out between the ribbing wraps with a bodkin to give it a buggy appearance.