Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Illinois Smallmouth Alliance

First, let me say, I feel like a bit of a ... heel? ... cad? ... a$$hole.

rich mc invited me to attend the 20th anniversary of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance. It's a fishing club/conservation club/great bunch of people club.

So, I go ... I don't take anything with me, I am quite oblivious to the social graces of modern day real life friends. I even forgot to take my camera. Rich, on the other hand, gives me a box full of his flies. They look great and I am sure I'll be catching some nice bass and sunfish on them in a couple of weeks.

Then, to top a wonderful evening of conversation, presentations and food ... they start calling out numbers on the raffle tickets. I've got a beat up old tackle box at home, and they had the same model as one of the prizes. I put two tickets in that bag, and I won !!!

I also put a couple of tickets in a bag for a "streamside fly kit", which I also won. But I had just bought one yesterday at BPS on sale. So, when one of the other guys at the table won a Leatherman, he readily traded with me.

It was a great way to spend the afternoon evening ... and I made it back to the hotel over the 3 inches of snow that had fallen while the meeting went on.

Guest rich mc

it was great to meet you and talk fishing. we had 3 tyers from this forum , me and forrest miller. great night to slip away from cabin fever rich

Mike, great meeting you at the ISA Blowout! I'm surprised Rich hasn't talked you into going ice fishing. I didn't buy any raffle tickets, as I knew what I wanted when I went. I bought the full day guided trip donated by Frontier Anglers TN. I talked to Josh on Sunday and let him know my appreciation for his donation and that I look forward to chasing some smallies with him. The donations were top notch. Thanks to all the ISA guys who worked their butts off knocking on doors getting businesses and other members to donate. I took a neighbor, and he was very impressed all around with the event. I am looking forward to the next one, but even more-so I am looking forward to getting on the water!

-Forrest

Forrest,

It was truly my pleasure meeting you. You are welcome to come bass/panfish fishing in Florida any time. As I stated before, I felt a little guilty winning prizes ... a little. It was a fun night and you are correct about the quality of the donations.

I hope the club raised some good money, I know it will go to good purposes.

Guest rich mc

the ISA had our best fundraiser ever and the funds go toward our conservation grants. rich mc

Since I found out about this flea market at the Alliance meeting last week, I figure this is just an extension to this posting.

I went to the Fishing Equipment Flea Market this morning. When I was talking to the Wife about it last night, I told her I doubted I'd buy anything. Heh uh-huh, that ain't how it went.

First, here's two pictures of everything:

The rod ... $25.00

After looking it up online I paid about what it's worth. But it is in excellent condition. All the talk of fiberglass rods got to me ... I'll be trying this one out as soon as I get home.

Reels ... $20.00 for both

I love automatics ... and they are both in excellent shape. I might have gotten them for about a third what they're worth. Prices on E-bay range from 4 or 5 bucks to over 40 ... depending on condition, I suppose. Since I will be using them ... I wasn't interested in the "vintage-ness" of them.

And the package of tying materials ... $25.00

Hey ... looked like a good deal, and I am not disappointed. Everything that's in there, I have none of:

The scissors, online, go for about $20. A bodkin, a hook hone, a dubbing loop spinner and a ... thingy (with something like a ream on the end) round out the tools.

There's a material kit for tying lady bugs ... or equivalently sized beetles.

I think I did okay. Maybe not as good as I could have ... I'll be first to admit, I am not much good at "haggling".

Guest rich mc

you did well. you picked the right time to work up north, at least for deals and not our weather rich mc