Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
captkenroy

DIYFoam Body Cutter.

I sharpened the mouth of a .45 Colt Long case then crimped it with pipe Vise grips to get the desired shape for a foam spider.

I'm working on a piece of 1" steel conduit. It does not sharpen easily. Unfortunately, the wall is a little thick. Any idea for a 1"-1-1/4"

thin wall tube or pipe? I need to find some steel .45 cases. The harder material ought to hold an edge longer.

I cut the bodies by laying the foam material on a piece of Starboard then tap the cutter with a small hammer.

http://s247.photobucket.com/user/captkenroy/media/spidercutter.jpg.html

Nice idea. I have plenty of .45 Colt brass lying around. Haven't seen any steel cases around. Would a .45 ACP work?

Yep. 45 ACP is just fine. To cut round bodies, punch out the primer and screw a self tapping screw into the primer pocket. Cut off the head and chuck the screw shank into your drill or drill press and cut a bunch of bodies.

The tube that drops from the sink drain to the trap. Thin walled brass tube that is easily sharpened and I believe is exactly the size you're looking for.

You might also try some hard copper alloy pipe that you can get at Home Depot. It is available in several diameters. I use 9mm brass and 25cal brass to cut round bodies for BG poppers. I punch out the primers so I can push out the foam plug. I do foam and hairbugs

Oh yeah, the sink drain will definitely work. Right now, the biggest thin wall stuff I have is 7/8' (22mm).

i use leather punches for my popper bodies.hobby stores sell all kinds of brass and steel tubing.shaping the tubing is something i never thought of.i use a paper hole punch to make spider bodies.fold the foam and punch leving the fold intact.wish it wasn't such a hassle to post pics on here

I use a set of punches from Harbor Freight, Has a hole in the side to allow me to push out the plugs.

Nice idea, gonna have to keep my eye out for some .45 colt brass next time at the range or maybe some .50 S&W for a sligthly larger body.