Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Need some feedback - Fiberglass series of rods-

Not sure yet of colors. I am actually going to be getting one blank in probably by this weekend to check out and build and if I like it then I will order more. The one I am getting in this weekend is a 7'6" 3wt 3pc spigot ferule blank. After I check it out and build/test cast it I will let you guys know because that will be the first one for sale.

I hope you intend to keep us updated on castability too. It has been a long time since I have actually fished a glass rod. By reading what the fellas say on the Glass rod forum the glass rod is as close to heaven that a fly fisherman can get. I sure don't remember them being quite that great. The vibrating tips always seemed to instill a snake bendy line as I recall. The black rods don't have near as much tip vibration so the cast line is usually straighter.

I hope you intend to keep us updated on castability too. It has been a long time since I have actually fished a glass rod. By reading what the fellas say on the Glass rod forum the glass rod is as close to heaven that a fly fisherman can get. I sure don't remember them being quite that great. The vibrating tips always seemed to instill a snake bendy line as I recall. The black rods don't have near as much tip vibration so the cast line is usually straighter.

I'm also very curious about the castability of these rods. My challenge with fiberglass so far is finding a rod that loads with only a few feet of line out if not just the leader, but doesn't have an excess amount of tip wobble or lack or recovery.

The 7.5' wt you are getting in sounds like just what I might be looking for. Looking forward to this build as I have been wanting one of your rods for a few years now.

I love to fish my bamboo but the fiberglass rod is a great replacement. I do fish with glass especially if I'm fishing wet flies or streamers. Todays graphites are to fast for swing a wet fly. I find the fiberglass better to work with since it is more forgiving in setting the hook on a swinging fly. My glass rods range from a 6' 3 weight to 9' 8 weight.

I hope your project works out for you. Fiberglass is starting to make a good come back, but like you said a lot of them are very pricey.

Good news, I've been talking with a supplier and now have four different sizes of glass blanks I will be able to build. He has the blanks on hand and ready to ship so I will be able to start doing the glass series much sooner than I thought. They will be from 6'6" 3wt to 8' 5wt. When I get some time later this evening I will be posting some details as well as seeing just how low I can feasibly make the price for FTF members and posting a new thread later with ordering info.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I appreciate what you are doing and will be following this with interest... I was eyeing a fiberglass rod from another maker (Blue Halo.) I really like the looks but not so sure on the price for theirs. I will hold off and keep an eye on your product.

Thanks!

P.S. The ice jsut came off the local pond and my son is getting ready to put his new rod through it's maiden voyage!

quote name="shoebop" post="582678" timestamp="1394030412"]

I don't understand the nostalgia surrounding fiberglass rods. To me it's like prefering an outhouse over indoor plumbing. That being said, I mean no disrespect to someone who does get the nostalgia. I am quite uneducated when it comes to fibergass rods.

Excuse me...I have to get up and change the channel on my black and white television.:lol: :D

It's not all nostalgia, the fact is, in many fishing situations, they are a better tool for the job, seriously. And a lot more fun to use.

Many of the graphite fly rod manufactures are bringing slower rods to market these days. I choose to believe the goal of such endeavor is to market a better fishing rod, not a better "distance" casting rod. The fact is, graphite rods do not possess the mass inherent in a rod manufactured from fiberglass or bamboo; so they will not rollcast nor mend line as easily as well-designed fiberglass and bamboo rods. "Softer" rods do more, better, than just protect light tippet. And you don't know what your missing when a nice fish bends your rod down to the grip. Every head shake and tail thrust is transmitted through the rod, unlike a stiff graphite rod!

Do you opine that today, the many folks building bamboo and "retro" glass rods do so for the nostalgic fisher-people market? Or that those who spend over $1,000 for one of these handmade masterpieces do so because they are nostalgic for days gone by?

It is certain that some fly fishers buy these rods so they can experience fishing as their grandparents might have, but that can't be the only reason. This might be the nostalgia you speak of, but fiberglass and bamboo bring more to the game than nostalgia.

Fly fishing has been described as a contemplative pastime. And for some of us this is true. Fishing with a glass or grass rod may lend to this experience. If catching fish were the only reason we angle, we would be using bait.

Check out Mario Wojnicki's website. His glass rods are in high demand at $1,250. I would love to fish one of Mario's rods! Perhaps, someday, I will.

I have a 3 weight glass rod built on a Steffen Brothers' blank about 10 years ago. It is a joy to fish!

A vintage Fenwick glass rod could be purchaded on the cheap a few years ago, now they will put you back a pretty penny.

I do love today's light and high line-speed graphite rods. They are wonderful, but they're not the be-all, end-all, last word in fly rods.

Steve,

Consider me in too on one of your first-run fiberglass retro rods. I once had a short Shakespeare Wonderrod that

was a marvel trouting stick.

I also have a yen for a 6' 3wt but am wary of transporting a one piece w/o running afoul of hatchback lids, doors etc. So, as long as the joint does not add a hitch in the delivery, I'd prefer a 2 piece.

That rod with a 3wt DT line would be great for tossing 'pocket lint' flies at sippers in close on really fine

leaders as the bend down into the corks should give a shock-absorber effect missing in the graphites. Also, it

would be handier on small waters.

I'd use the 7' matrix graphite "Go Tigers" 3wt I got from you last fall mainly on bigger waters for longer casts, bushier flies, while chasing bigger specimen.

Rocco

Hi Rocco, this is the sizes I am able to do, let me know if you want one of these and I will put you down for it.

• 6 1/2 foot, 3 piece, 3 weight
  • 7 foot 3 piece 3/4 weight
  • 7 1/2 foot 3 piece 4 weight
  • 8 foot 3 piece 5 weight

Steve,

I'd go with the 6 and a half foot 3wt. I three piece format it would be a true "poacher's rod". In the bad old days when only thelaird could fish his waters, night poachers from among the great unwashed had ultra short rods they could hid and disguise better. Being caught with one or with a tailer' at night on the high road by the bailiff was a hanging offense in some areas.

I measured my Matrix and it is actually 7 and a half feet long anyway.

I once built a 6 foot 5wt on an early graphite blank and it was surprising how efficiently it handled some bigger fish.

The Tiger bullpen scares me. They still will not hit for Verlander either.

Rocco

No prob got ya down for the 6'6" 3wt Rocco. UHG don't even mention the Tigers BP lol. I love the new look of the team with the speed and stealing bases as well as Asmus as skipper, but we REALLY need to get rid of Coke and Al-Al. And I heard Nathan was supposed to be some good closer, but I sure have not seen it yet this year. Right now he looks about on par with Valverde if you ask me, and that's not a good thing.

hey Rocco....not to get away from glass but I was reading about some really short rods a few days ago. I dug out my old retired graphite UL 5' rod. It is the only UL rod I ever found that would set the hood consistently in a bass and I love that rod. Anyway, I taped a fly reel on the end of the handle and headed for the back yard. It took me a half dozen casts to start to get the timing decent but I was shocked at how well it threw a line and tight loops. I plan on takeing it to the creek shortly for a real fishing work out. I have used a 6'er for several years but it was still a big difference. I have spent many, many, many enjoyable hours with that 5' rod and it may be enjoyed for many more. I am sure it would be better with flyrod guides but it worked OK as it is. It is a one piece rod and is kinda a pain to travel with so it will be a home only rod.