Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishyfranky

Abel Aluminum Vise

This is my first rotary vise and I've been tying for only a year so my opinions come with a large grain of salt. I do however like nicely engineered stuff and the Abel is one of them. You can immediately tell an engineer designed it: form follows function.

Everything is well finished and fitted. The rotary action is smooth, no wiggle or loose spots and has a good tension adjustment. The jaws are stainless steel as is the shaft. Everything else is aircraft aluminum. I got the black but it comes in other colors and can be artistically anodized.

It didn't take too long to get used to the jaw style nor aligning the hooks for rotary action. Overall access is great and it 'feels right'. The horizontal arm is great to steady your hand and the jaw position doesn't get in the way.

Although not really a problem for me, the main jaw tightening screw head could be a bit larger for ease in torquing. The vise is a traveller so the base is made of aluminum. Since I had my old vise on a clamp, I had to be careful initially to adjust.

The only complaint that I have is that I tried to sneak it into the house but I got busted right away by my wife. I didn't tell her the price ($600CDN) but she could tell it wasn't cheap. It's gonna cost me more: lampwork bead class and ceramic backtiles in the kitchen blink.gif

post-32-1107021418.jpg

Thats only $19.95 American Bob laugh.gif tongue.gif

Just messing with ya franky, thats a great looking piece of equipment, Abel's reputation is VERY good so that vise should be well worth your investment.

SD

Nice vise! I really like the adjustments for tweaking the head position, far better than the three screw holes on my Renz.

You're the first person I've run into who's got the nads to bring one of those home. I salute you sir! cool.gif

Iam with troutbum on the (nads), YOU DA MAN. Great looking vice . I have not seen any one that sells them here in northern ontario >>TL Mike

My nads are reasonably safe but that's only because they've burrowed up into my abdomen. Just remembered last night that my wife gave me my old vise as a present for Valentines! bugeyes.gif help.gif

oh god, run and hide! plan a b&b trip for some weekend outta the blue, that'll smooth it over.

steve

Well if franky disappears from the site at least we all know why wink.gif

I think steves idea is pretty good, a surprise weekend away might be in order before she remembers she got the old one for you unsure.gif

I had an Abel rod and reel combo and did not like it. I find that most of the things made by Abel are well over priced. I have never used any other thing by them and am iterested in your comments on the vice. Im sure it is one fine peice of craftmanship. You might consider a week with your lady!

Sign in to follow this