Fly Tying
oldtrout58

Law Vise Available!

Received an e-mail from Phil at Fly Tying Boutique. Lawrence Waldron has made a few more vises and Phil has them now. The price is, yikes!, it's pretty dang high, but if you have to have a Law, now is your chance to buy one new.

Insane that someone would actually pay it. I guess it is proof there really ARE different worlds....

He can't really sell them for less than the second hand ones move for or the brand is devalued. But i agree its a different world for some. Apparently half the homes in the UK worth over 2million GBP are someones second home. Must be that world they live in.

He can't really sell them for less than the second hand ones move for

but the used ones ALSO go for a ridiculous price on ebay

so if another used one goes for 3000 GBP that becomes the new price of greed?

Yep. Its a great business model. People risk buying one thinking they will make more when they sell it on.

Greed? Try basic economics. Why would anyone undervalue their work? We pay more for branding and for quality all of the time. Considering the current supply of new Laws (very few) and price of the market is willing to pay for used Laws, this would seem to be a fair price. While there are plenty that can't afford or dont want the vise, the few that can and do make up for that, and everyone can happily tie flies. No need for judgment.

++++1 to FrequentTyer.

I can't afford to buy a vise like that ... but I don't hold any animosity towards those who can. Most of them weren't given the money, they worked, saved and intelligently used it to make more.

I am glad there are people who can do that ... gives the rest of us hope that maybe we can get there, too.

Oh, if I DID have the money ... I still wouldn't buy one. My $29.00 vise has worked for a long time.

What on earth is the vise made of? Platin? There's no way the product is worth those money bit for bit. It's just another one of "put a fly tying fly fishing sticker on and make a million" hype.

Kim ... From what I understand, the Law vise is a hand made piece of art. And you can tie a fly with it. But it is rather rare and NOT "'put a fly tying fly fishing sticker on and make a million' hype"

Lol.....A while back, when the "he retired" rumor started, I contacted Lawrence personally to ask about producing a Law type vise since (as rumor had it) he was not making them any more. He wrote back to me saying, and I quote, " I never said that I would never make the vises again." " I am taking a break from it." I told you people and many replied back that he was retired forever. Well I was right, and you were wrong. Now the vise is four times as much as it was. I say good for him. I can only dream of coming up with a product some day that sets the standard that which all others can only follow. Congratulations Lawrence, you have the pinnacle of vises. That's something to be proud of. Damn proud of.

I told Lawrence I would not produce my vise. This is what they looked like. Since they were posted on Frankenfly web site, I have been contacted from six different countries including the U.S. I have refused to make them to sell with respect to Lawrence's design. But it is tempting. LOL.. The only reason I made them in the first place was just a personal challenge to see if I could make one. Once again,, congratulations to Lawrence.

post-19822-0-79556100-1394118041_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-44649000-1394118055_thumb.jpg

Hand made or not, the price is ridiculous. Work of art? The vise is too simple to be called art. But we'll some pay millions for paintings.

give me some fingerpaint and I'll show you art that will blow people out of their mind. I'll put a smiley on and demand 5000$.

Silk ... You have your own design too, no? I thought some of the vises you made were your own design, and they looked great. Give it a couple of years, and yours will be considered collector's items, too.

Go for it Kim. If you can produce art that will fetch $5000, you'd be an idiot NOT to. Put your talent where your mouth is a go make some money. Don't get all jealous of those who already do that.

I am with Silk, too, on congratulating Lawrence for producing a vise that people will pay thousands of dollars for.

If I had that kind of disposable income, I'd buy a Law at that price in a heartbeat.

But then, I'd have a ranch in Montana, custom rod and real makers on retainer, a guilly/mistress, I might play golf....

Well I was right, and you were wrong.

If I had a nickel for every time my wife told me that, I'd have enough $$ to buy one of those vises... :)