Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutinturnie

Recent Walleye, Pike and Small Mouth Flies

Greetings all,

Here is just a recent picture of the warmwater flies Ive been tying up here in Northern Manitoba. Iv tied a few deer hair zonker strip, wooly buggers, hoppers, clousers, few nymphs and ants and a pike zonker strip fly (lower right hand corner) The deer hair with the yellow zonker strip was wet from testing the swim action (swims great)

Its my first year tying so id love to hear any suggestions or alternative patterns I should try. I cant seem to get enough tying, impatiently awaiting the ice to melt.

Appreciate the advice

Kyle

post-32587-0-64965200-1394128180_thumb.jpeg

From what I can make out, they all look like fish catching patterns. But I do have a question ... are you coming south? Northern Manitoba ... do you even have WARM water up there?

im a huge warm water guy - honestly i would stay away from anything smaller than a #8 hook mainly because youll end up catching five to eight pan fish to your one targeted larger warm water species. in my opinion bigger is better 8 out of 10 times depending on the season to catch your large warm water species. spring time your pike are 90% aggressive striking so the more obnoxious the fly the more likely you are to get those big hits from big pike. as far as your bass your going to want flies that simulate what they are feeding on or a lure that will make an expand and contract motion when stripping it. the colorations on the flies generally match water conditions and the general weather conditions. almost everything (i dont have the smaller flies) you have there i have in my bass/pike box. all together those will all catch fish just be mindful of how sucessful you maybe just based off of hook size on catching the species you want to catch. the only thing you should add would be some dahlberg diver's they are deer hair top water lures you could also add some top water mice (certainly wouldnt hurt).

oh and crayfish - always a small mouth favorite

Hope that helps =)

I have fished the Quetico several times from June to September and 'NO' the water never get warm but the pike, smallmouth, and walleye sure like it. I always was successful with different shade of green with white bellies on crank baits and jigs. The fellas I went with did not fly fish so I let the long stick at home.....regretfully. I am too out of shape to make the trip now but I would really like to throw some flies up there now. One of my regrets in life.

You might also try some schminnows in larger sizes in different colors and weights. I have yet to try a craft fur shrimp in freash water but I think it would be a good producer. A seaducer would work over a shallow weed bed and not get fouled in the weeds. A reversed Blonde would also be worth a try in the down falls.

Looks good, only place i fished close is Lake Of The Woods, which honestly has some of the best smallie action i ever experienced. I might add some crayfish type patterns to the box :)