Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Float Tube & Pontoon Questions

Hey folks,

Iv got a few questions to ask the community about inflatable float tubes and pontoon boats. I really enjoy wading rivers but I come across many lakes and ponds that I would LOVE to fish from a float tube or smaller pontoon. My only experience with inflatables comes from a "4" man 9 foot inflatable boat I purchased two summers ago at Bass Pro that ended up leaking straight out of the box and was promptly returned. I am looking for a quality float tube or pontoon, preferable one that has a seat up out of the water. The following points are important to me:

-Small foot print when disassembled, portable (Living in an apartment so need something that folds into a pack or could be stored in a large tote)

-Easy to inflate either with manual pump or electric batter operated pump.

-Rated for upto 300lbs

-$400-600 range

-Preferable able to purchase from within Canada, I know I will likely have to end up ordering from out of country though.

I am curious how many anglers use float tubes or pontoons to fish still water and ponds? If there are any tips, advice, or insight into this form of transportation for fishing that you guys could offer I would greatly appreciate it. The thought of being able to gently coast up to a weedline on a pond and start slaying crappie and bluegills is very appealing to me, lots of the ponds and lakes I fish offer very little area to fish from shore and being able to get mobile on the water I am sure will be worth the investment.

I have a $150 round float tube. I love it. The float tube holds me high enough that I am just barely sitting in the water. In the summer, this is enough to help keep me cool. I feel like I have enough space, and I've used it with waders on with no problems.

They are cheaper than pontoon style float tubes ... but I've never fished from one of those, so I don't know what they are like.

Oh, and I use mine in Central Florida. I haven't had any problems with gators thinking I'm edible ... yet.

You need to decide if you want a float tube or pontoon boat. Float tubes are best for fairly small waters. You can't cover a lot of ground with them and you don't want to be out on a big body of water where waves will be an issue unless you stay pretty close to shore. Most pontoon boats are bigger and meant for larger bodies of water, many can also be used for moving water. You are generally higher above the water and have option of using oars or fins.

As for storage, a fully deflated float tube doesn't take up much space. Pontoon boats usually have a frame of some sort so you will need to store and transport that in addition to the pontoons and oars.

I know that Cabela's has a variety of models as do a some of the larger fly fishing catalogs. I am sure that some of the shops and catalogs in Canada carry the popular models.

I am a canoe guy but I keep a "u" type float tube around for places where I don't want to have to schlep a canoe through the woods.

Steve

Through the years, I have used both. Float tubes are lighter, and more compact, but they are more work to move around in. They are more suited to smaller ponds, lakes, and SLOW moving water where you don't need to go too far. I much prefer the pontoons for bigger bodies of water. You are up out of the water, and can see better. Casting is a little easier, and you have a greater range. There are small (4 foot,) pontoons that are quite a bit like tubes in that they are light and built for smaller waters. The 8 to 10' pontoons can be powered by oars, or small electric motors, so you have a very good range. I have been 2 or 3 miles in my pontoon, but that is usually a couple of miles zig zagging around. I have been on several western rivers in my pontoon and floated and stopped to fish, for days at a time. We usually averaged about an 8 mile float, but all fishing was done by wading with the boat parked.

Unlike Mike, I am not confident that a float tube or pontoon boat is the way to go in Florida, so now I fish from a 12' kayak. I don't know enough about gators to fool with them. I have seen a few big gators, and always head the other way when they enter the water.

If you're going to fish moving water at all, you need a pontoon. Float tubes are fine for still water, but you would have very little ability to maneuver fast enough to avoid obstacles in moving water. Also, in a float tube the lower half of your body is below the waterline. I don't know about the rivers where you live, but here in Michigan they are full of woody debris that could be very dangerous if you got a foot caught in it.

As noted above, float tubes are infinitely more portable than pontoons. Almost any float tube will pack down into a larger backpack or duffel when it's deflated. However, they are slow to get around in and to maneuver. They are best suited to small, still waters.

There are some float tube/pontoon hybrids out there - take a look at these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Float-Tubes-Pontoons/Pontoons|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105607080/i/104508180/Creek-Company-Voyager-Frameless-Pontoon/1315080.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpontoons%2F_%2FN-1102583%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104508180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat105607080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105607080%3Bcat104508180

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Float-Tubes-Pontoons/Pontoons|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105607080/i/104508180/Classic-Accessories-Bozeman-Backpackable-Pontoon-Boat/1315101.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpontoons%2F_%2FN-1102583%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104508180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat105607080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105607080%3Bcat104508180

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Float-Tubes-Pontoons/Pontoons|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105607080/i/104508180/Classic-Accessories-Chehalis-Backpackable-Pontoon-Boat/1595611.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpontoons%2F_%2FN-1102583%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104508180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat105607080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105607080%3Bcat104508180

I have one of the hybrids, a North Fork H3. It works OK, but is not as useful as I had anticipated. Basically, any "boat" that leaves you legs dangling in the water will be slow and clumsy to maneuver. The seat of the H3 is just above the water line, but I always get my butt wet anyway. The big problem is, I have nowhere to put my feet, so they are always in the water. In still water, you can use fins to move yourself around, but it's pretty slow, and you have to go backwards, so you don't want to go far. It would be great on a farm pond, or something similar, say 5 to 10 acres.

In moving water, I find the fins awkward and difficult to use, so I use a kayak paddle. The tube weighs only 13 pounds and is certified for up to class 4 rapids, so it is actually fun to use in a moderately turbulent (class 2+) stream. When you find a spot you want to fish, you catch a rock with your feet, and the tube will ride up on the flow, and you can just sit there fishing. On our NC rivers, though, there are long flat stretches that can be a major chore to work through.

Most of my fishing friends have pontoons, which seem to be more adapted to larger lakes and slow moving rivers. Like you, though, I have no place to store a framed pontoon, so I'm still looking for an alternative.

Not in Florida! Statistics are in your favor but gators have awesome capabilities. I've been around them for 72 years and I have a healthy respect for them. In brackish water we have both Gators and Bull Sharks--even in 3' of water. Not me, man!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/captkenroy/gator1.jpg

I have both a 9' Fish Cat pontoon and a Fat Cat kick boat. I have used belly boats as well and don't care for them as I don't swim well and feel half drowned! The kick boat is light and easier to kick around in a lake because you sit out of the water. It is kinda like a floating Lazy Boy, if it's calm and sunny it's hard to not fall asleep!

Pontoon is great for drifting rivers and covering ground. I have hooked up a Minn Kota but it didn't work well in the wind as there is no keel so it was a gong show to steer. I have seen some that have a casting platform and like that idea.

Anchor systems are a must for both of them as I live in Saskatchewan and the wind is always blowing. I try to head out into the wind so coming back is easy.

I have a 9 foot pontoon and a Fat Cat float tube.

I use the pontoon for larger lakes and moving water. It can be propelled with either oars or fins. I consider it a big advantage to be able to use fins (on stillwater) to maneuver or troll while keeping both hands free. The oars increase the range and speed and are required on moving water. The seat is completely out of the water. In the summer I can wear hip length waders or even just shorts if the water is warm. It can be transported fully assembled in the back of my full-sized pickup . It can also be carried on a roof rack or dissasembled for a smaller vehicle. The frame does take some storage space even when broken down. So you should consider that. It probably takes 20-30 minutes to fully assemble and inflate. I use a rechargeable electric pump followed by a K-pump to top it off.

The Fat Cat is a V-shaped float tube. I would never go near a round tube again. An open ended tube is so much easier to get in and out of and safer and easier to kick as well. The Fat Cat seat is higher than some other float tubes but it's still right at or slightly below the waterline. It's very easy to maneuver with fins. You can make a cast in one direction, pivot and cast in a different direction without missing a beat. It's not great for going long distances, especially into the wind. I can fit it fully inflated into the back fo a small SUV. My Fat Cat has a foam seat and back rest. That means it's not as compact when deflated as you might think. The models with inflatable seats will pack down much smaller.

I bought a float tube a couple of years ago to fish one little lake that I like to go to. There is only one place that you can wade out a little and then it drops off into the deep dark depths so casting is very limited and the fish are always rising just out of range. I took my float tube up there and was as anxious as a little kid and could hardly wait to get it inflated and get my flippers on. After pumping and pumping and then trying to adjust the flippers and then waddle myself and the contraption to the waters edge I was finally going to have an awesome fish catching day. I eased into the water and got myself deep enough so that I could finally sit down into the seat that was to hold my 200 plus pounds and then started to question where and how this thing was made and who might have stitched it together. When I finally half trusted it I was starting to float out and my flipper encased feet could no long touch any solid ground I started to really worry. I tried to use the flippers to get back to shallow water but I must have been doing it wrong because I was only going farther from the shore and safety. After turning in circles and inventing bad words followed up with prayers and promises I managed to touch ground with a flipper and then the other and eventually stood up and got out of the water. I quickly shed the flippers and began to let the air out of the tube. After a thorough drying of the float tube it was placed back in its original box and now resides on a top shelf in my closet as a reminder of one of the dumber things that I have attempted in my life. I am not the best swimmer in the world and could probably be compared to a rock wrapped with lead but it has never kept me out of canoes and kayaks and I have even had fun on water skis a few times but the belly boat scared the s--t out of me. I don't want to come across as totally negative about float tubes and the idea of easing into an area on a small body of water is captivating but not for me any more. I have seen some folks floating the New River here in Virginia in the pontoon boats and now I have convinced myself that I have to have one...

I love tubing. I own one of each style, but I always come back to my big round one made by Tube Commander. It's heavy duty, lots of storage, rod holders and has a cup holder that holds a 32oz Gatorade. I tube mostly waters that don't allow gas engines, or don't have a boat ramp, so it's good for accessing unpressured water.

The days of those awkward frog feet that only propelled you backward are done. The kickers that Tube Commander make move you forward, at about the same speed.

I also have a Fish Cat, it's alright. I keep it for introducing beginners to tubing.

I've taken tubes out into big water, but you're kinda at the mercy of wind and current. This year I'll hopefully own a kayak for big water and wintertime fishing.

I have a $150 round float tube. I love it. The float tube holds me high enough that I am just barely sitting in the water. In the summer, this is enough to help keep me cool. I feel like I have enough space, and I've used it with waders on with no problems.

They are cheaper than pontoon style float tubes ... but I've never fished from one of those, so I don't know what they are like.

Oh, and I use mine in Central Florida. I haven't had any problems with gators thinking I'm edible ... yet.

Mike you're nuts if you dangle any body parts in the fresh water around here. I'll take my chances with the sharks and rays, but I'm not tempting the gators.

agn54 .., I feel the same way in reverse. I'll take the gators (which for 22 years have left me alone) over sharks, urchins, clam and oyster shells, Vibrio Vulnificus, jelly fish and a myriad of other unseen things which slither past your legs at the most inopportune times (Like right when the bikini clad beauties are looking your way).

Fortunately, not everyone believes your way or mine, so we both get some time to ourselves in the water.

I spent time in southern Louisiana in my college days and canoed some of the bayou areas on weekends. I wouldn't even think about using a float tube where gators or 25 lb snapping turtles are also looking for food. In fact I still remember the local guy who showed us around specifically telling us not to dangle anything over the side of the canoe. Not so much for the gators but the snapping turtles.

Steve

Stevester,

Amen! I have had amorous snapping turtles bump my float tube more than once. And NEVER use tubes naked!

Moreover, my float tube use was manifestly unhappy with fly rods. My whole casting style is based on firmly planted feet and feet

adrift do not give me a suitable anchor for accurate long casts.

I used UL spinning gear exclusively from my tube in still waters for years and landed many bass up to 8 lbs on 4lb test line with ease. The tube drift allowed them to tow me w/o breaking the line! Try that in a bass boat.

1B