Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Float Tube & Pontoon Questions

I've got a gigbob, it's perfect for floating down the river, no frame so it packs up quite small. The top part comes off for just a float tube or the whole unit for floating down the river. It's VERY solid and has a flat bottom for shallow water. I bought it directly from NRS and they shipped to me in Alberta no problem.

image_zpsa1e4b7cc.jpg

image_zps56ddf1f9.jpg

That gigbob is a neat looking float ... but for $1500.00 + ... I'd buy a kayak, life vest, paddles and some fishing equipment.

BassMouth,

I probably am being presumptuous but you can always find used watercraft at a lot less money than new. You can resell this stuff if it doesn't suit you and not lose much money. I have a canoe that I bought from an outfitter for a nominal fee and still have it 30 years later. As soon as my financial situation improves I will be looking for a kayak but it will be a used model. I will not use it enough to justify a new one.

Steve

I started out with a Browning Predator traditional float tube (XL size for big guys) and eventually moved to an Outcast Super Fat Cat (also an XL version of a standard model). What a wonderful watercraft! It was kind of pricey, but I've had mine for many years, used it a lot, and have no complaints. It has a high weight capacity and inflates very easily in just a couple of minutes. The foam seat keeps you pretty much out of the water but, as previously mentioned, also makes the boat a little bulkier when deflated. I can partially deflate mine and slide it in the back of my Subaru Forester through either of the side rear doors (if the rear seatback is folded down). I would highly recommend this tube, but with your storage constraints, you may prefer something smaller.

This spring (if it ever gets here!), I plan to buy an Outcast Stealth Pro, which is sort of a frameless pontoon boat. It weighs 35 lbs. and will fold up small enough to fit in a roller duffel. Expensive ($1K) though....

Tight lines,

Bob

I am a huge inflatable craft guy. I love float tubes. Pontoon boats are great but they are a little more work to deal with. In the past I have used float tubes a lot in salt water. Mostly down in San Deigo in mission bay to fish for spotted bass. I like float tubes for bays a lot because there is not a lot on them that rust so they last a long time in salt water. My pontoon will be used a lot now that I have moved to Colorado. I own a fish cat tube and a Creek Company pontoon. Both have there place and I really do enjoy using both. If you want a tube that will last I would highly recommend the fish cat. I have dragged, carried and just general used heavily. I have taking it down small rapids carried, it into the backcountry and used it in the ocean. If I had to chose one I would lean towards the float tube. Easy to store, setup and carry fairly long distances. But it all depends on what your looking for and how you will use it.

Interesting...what was the damage all said and done, shipping, duties, taxes etc?

It was about 1000 total with shipping and duty, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, they were blowing them out at 850 not long ago

A friend of mine here at the forums offered me a great deal on the lost lake float tube that has a heavier weight rating, also comes with a pump ans over boot flippers ...figure I will give that a try first as the price is right.

Anybody ever used the sea eagle 285 frameless pontoon? I am thinking about purchasing one. Would like to hear any feedback.