Fly Tying
jonathan creason

First attempts

Got a hankering to try my hand at tying, so I dropped in a local shop and bought a few tools and enough material to tie wooly buggers until I was sick of them. This is the result of my first evening working on them. I think this particular one is #5 ever. I appreciate any critiques you all can offer.post-51832-0-43543800-1394201445_thumb.jpg

I have never tied wooly buggers ... but if I decide to, I hope they look like that one.

I think some might say the hackle is too long, but it looks very "buggy" and just like fish food.

The head could be a little smaller but for your first night I'd say you did quite well :)

Much appreciated, guys. Need to go pick up some lead wire and give a little heavier version a shot. So far my dual vise-grip to exacto knife tying vise is working ok, but I can definitely see its shortcomings. Maybe I can upgrade in a few years.

Much appreciated, guys. Need to go pick up some lead wire and give a little heavier version a shot. So far my dual vise-grip to exacto knife tying vise is working ok, but I can definitely see its shortcomings. Maybe I can upgrade in a few years.

BPS ... vises for less than $40.00. I've been tying on one for years and it's still holding hooks.

Here's the thing. A bugger tied perfectly by a professional will catch fish. A bugger tied in a messy, sloppy blob will catch fish. In fact, "blob" flies are catching so many stocked fish in England tournaments they may outlaw them.

Looking at your tie you may have found a video showing a good way to tie them. If not, tie in your wire at the back when you tie in marabout. Wind chenille to front, tie in your hackle, palmer to back and use the wire to tie it down and counterwrap it to the front. Learning this gave me an easier tie and buggers that looked better and held up better. Yours looks good in hackle spacing and you should pull feathers rearward like you did. All in all, I'd be glad to tie your fly on for bass or trout in right size at right time.