Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

Go hard! my first crease flies

They're pretty ugly. But hopefully they'll fish well.

Tied in #2 mustad 34011

post-22241-0-94669100-1394273972_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-79544600-1394274001_thumb.jpg

its a start.

they all get better the more you tie

go fish them and see what happens

They look more like cut bait than something alive, no offense intended.

On the bright side ... hundreds of thousands of people catch fish on cut bait, so you might be on to something !!!

:P

Tied up a few more tonight... and even put eyes on them so they look less like cut bait.

You might try pushing a small ball of craft foam into the hollow face to open it up a little and to leave it concave to get more 'pop' on the retrieve. I had a good source tell me that he has trouble getting a hook-set with a crease fly and he never uses them for that reason. Keep us posted on how they work out for you. Some crease flies that I have seen do fill too much of the hook gap IMO.

Thx ditz. Will do... hook gape does seem restricted on a couple.

Have also tried a different style tonight... more of a slider / walk the dog style surface fly.

post-22241-0-76433500-1394535625_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-06402500-1394535748_thumb.jpg

Those newest ones look pretty good. I agree with ditz about putting the foam ball inside the body, it makes it pop better. Also, a rattle inside the body works great and adds extra sound. I dig the slider

You might try pushing a small ball of craft foam into the hollow face to open it up a little and to leave it concave to get more 'pop' on the retrieve. I had a good source tell me that he has trouble getting a hook-set with a crease fly and he never uses them for that reason. Keep us posted on how they work out for you. Some crease flies that I have seen do fill too much of the hook gap IMO.

If you do it right it shouldn't take up any of the hook gap. Maybe the thickness of the foam, but that's it. If you join the edges of the foam together right underneath the hook you ensure that you have protected the hook gap, it also helps in keeping the face of the fly open.

But sometimes they like a flat one.

:)

Just tied up a couple more.... now I just need to learn how to paint :o... oh and take reasonable photos with the phone :)

post-22241-0-00237000-1394620733_thumb.jpg

Definitely getting better. The more you tie the better they'll look. One thing you might want to try is when you fold the body is clip the back of the body with you scissors which forms a V. It helps the body sit better over the tail and that's how the original pattern was tied. If you're using white craft foam, you might want to try permanent markers rather than the paint. You can blend the colors and do multi-colored flies that can imitate the local bait. If you can find transfer foil, you can create ones that have holo-graphic silver sides or a nice pearl finish. The hook gape has always been one of my issues with the Crease fly. I've taken to tying mine on articulated shanks and hanging a treble hook off the back. It also allows me to do different styles of bodies. From the chunky ones, which around here imitate peanut bunkers, to slimmer ones to imitate silversides or mullet in salt water and minnows in fresh water. I like the slider style crease fly, never thought of doing that. I'll have to give it a try.

Thank you sirs..

Definitely getting better. The more you tie the better they'll look. One thing you might want to try is when you fold the body is clip the back of the body with you scissors which forms a V.

Unfortunately the only foam I can find at the moment is either gray... or this last lot is red...

Will try the trick re the nick in the back tonight.

This week's progression.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to fish them this weekend.

post-22241-0-61354900-1394798473_thumb.jpg

post-22241-0-91458400-1394798525_thumb.jpg