Fly Tying
FlyTyer15

CDC patterns

Does any body have any good effective CDC patterns. I bought a bag of dark dun CDC and realized that I have no patterns for it. I've seen it under the elk wing on an elk hair caddis but wanted to tie some other things.

All is appreciated. Thanks.

Adding CDC to almost any pattern seems to make them better. I used to have an annual order for Prince Nymph's with an CDC collar. I will second Hans W. but his web site seems to be down but his videos available on YouTube.

Look for posts from "Eide" and "DryFly Purist". Both of them have posted numerous excellent flies using CDC.

Can I suggest some tools that you might find useful to go with your CdC? Don't worry If you haven't got these around the house you can make or buy them for pennies.

The first one is three needles in a handle. Mine is a commercial one from Marryat, but three needles in a piece of tubing will work just as well. What you do with it is trap the stem of the CdC feather between the needles and roll it up. Then you can trim the fibres off the stem in a bunch. Great for making wings for F Flies and caddis flies and a good way to make CdC dubbing. You will get much more value out of your CdC doing it this way. It may take three or four feathers to tie a, say, size 14 F Fly. By using this tool you will get two out of one feather.

post-43582-0-09723600-1394543142_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-86243400-1394543154_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-86336800-1394543164_thumb.jpg

Second is a bulldog clip. Again you use it to hold the fibres from one (or several) feather(s) for when you want to set them into your thread or a dubbing loop. The possibilities of this technique are endless. The example below is based on a Marc Petitjean style dun. In this the CdC is set into the thread and teased up and back as you wind. Floss is tied in before the thorax and brought through the clump of fibres to split them. Like the thorax cover on a nymph. The body is a CdC feather tied in and pulled through the thread then twisted and wound. These are very very good dun imitations.

post-43582-0-85205400-1394541104_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-33027700-1394541115_thumb.jpg

As for patterns, you could do worse than start with the F Fly. Just a thread body and CdC wing in colour and size to suit your situation. Simple and very effective. You'll have a box full of them in no time.

One note. When you go to fish these flies you should take some means to dry them, Amadou, is good but the synthetic alternatives work well, as does desiccant powder.

I second taking a look at DryFly Purist's posts.

CDC isn't as popular here in the States as it is in Europe, That's kind of mystifying, it's a wonderful material. I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Tying Flies with CDC", by Leon Links if you can find one.

I use it in many standard patterns, like the GRHE nymph, as secondary hackle on soft hackle flies, etc. Very versatile material.

By the way, the F Fly is about as simple a pattern as you'll ever see, and it works!

Crackaig,

I thought the F-fly just used one or two CDC tips as the wing? I have seen that tool in catalogs but never really saw one in use so it seems a little puzzling to me. Of course a lot of things have become puzzling to me as the years go by. Any hints on where to see that three needle tool in use?

Steve

So, should one choose between the stacker and the feather winding tool? They both seem to do the same thing. Do they?

Randy

Randy,

They both do basically the same thing - get the fibers off of a CDC feather stem (or other feathers, too) and have them bunched and lined up. I have both tools and I can't say that one is easier or harder to manipulate than the other. You can also tear the fibers off the stem a few at a time, like Davie McPhail does, but that's not as much fun as using a tool and you don't get to spend more money and accumulate more tying stuff!

I'm sure some tiers definitely prefer one over the other.

Joe