Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cdnfishguy11

Pike/Musky Hooks in Bulk

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a place to buy hooks in bulk.

Up untill now I have been tying all of my Pike and Musky flies on Gamagatsu Siwash hooks(stainless steel,) they are widely available in my area as there are a ton of salmon trollers on lake ontario and these are there hooks of choice for their spoons.

I like this hook because its virtually indestructible and can take a beating from fish and will almost always be broken off before the hook fatigues.

Lately I have been getting a ton of orders for these flies. I am looking for a more economical option than $3.27 for 6 hooks.

I have done some looking online, but figured the people here would know best. I would be interested in buying around 100 hooks in a few different sizes, although if the price is right for 1000 I would not hesitate.

Thanks,

Josh

Agree with cheech. When I was tying commercially, I used that Mustad 32608 or 32606 (shorter shank) for Pike & Musky flies. Have also used Mustad 91706 spinnerbait hooks, which has an O'Shaughnessy bend. I've used Owner spinnerbait hooks too, but they're very expensive too.

Hagen's has the 91706 in bulk in 3 sizes. 2/0, 3/0 & 4/0

http://www.hagensfish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26&products=1197

BTW, are you sure that Gamakatsu Siwash is stainless? I have a couple of packs of their Siwash hooks & they're all carbon steel with a nickel finish.

As far as Siwash hooks, you could try VMC 9171 or 9170. Both are heavier wire than the Gamakatsu. Very strong hook, stronger than the Gammie, and less costly. Many of the folks who make wooden surf fishing lures use these hooks & they're also popular for spoons. One model has an open eye (9171), while the other has a closed eye (9170).

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/eagle_claw_261.htm

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/hooks/254_hooks.htm

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/hooks/255.htm

Have a look at some of these hooks. I haven't had any experience with the hooks themselves but they look pretty good. And at that price they cant be beat!!! Also they are sold from Ontario, bonus for you.

Can you source Owner spinnerbait hooks from Canadian sellers? Cost is ~$18/50ct or $35/100ct US. Based solely on reputation and using other hooks from these mfrs, quality should be similar.

as a commercial tyer, are you not able to get them at wholesale prices?

Hooks are the biggest challenge I have faced. Finding the hook I want at a decent price in a manageable quantity.

I used to buy hooks wholesale from Shorty's Hook Sales in Missouri. They were good folks to deal with. Most of the time they only sold bulk in 1000 count quantities, but that depended on the hook & brand. They dealt with several brands.

I never had any problems with them, but sometimes I did have to wait for hooks. They don't stock everything, they mostly deal with lure makers, so fly hooks were not usually stocked & had to be ordered. They got orders frequently so wasn't a big issue. The only hooks I had trouble getting quickly sometimes came from Eagle Claw.

I used to use an Eagle Claw hook, L67 which back then was sold as the "Billy Pate Tarpon Hook". It's still available & a good hook which might be another option. It's strong enough for Tarpon so should be fine for Pike or Muskies. It's a plated hook for saltwater use.

However, If I didn't try to keep ahead with my hook stocks, sometimes there would be waits involved & I would run out. A couple of times I was told that EC was packaging hooks for Walmart, and Shorty's wasn't getting any hooks coming in from EC because of it. When they got the hooks, they would ship them quickly.

The owner 5320 spinnerbait hook has been great for me. I buy the 3/0 and the 5/0. Good heavy hunk of iron. Sharp as a tack. Considering the quantity size and quality is a great hook for the money. I buy them from a local guy and he charges 20 or there abouts for 100 packs.

Steve

Thanks for all the great advise guys. I managed to work out a deal with one of my local stores.

Went with the mustad 91706!