Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michaelt

proportions of material

I am frustrated with the proportions of material on flies. Trying to tie black smut and calls for pheasant tail fibers, dubbing and hackle and cannot seem to stop crowding hook eye. Know just me and tying on #10 straight shank hook. hopefully this will pass.

Agree w/flytire. Allow about a hook eye width of shank immediately behind the eye for finishing the head. Consider it a "No Tie Zone" and divide your fly segments (abdomen, throrax, whatever...) into the remaining portion of shank.

It's easy enough to crowd the eye. It's a common thing to do, but don't worry. If you leave that open space before the eye and don't go beyond it until you tie your head, you'll be glad you did. Also, tie back a little more than you think is right, and you'll be able to judge the materials.

There's a tool called "The Golden Mean" tool for fly tying that gives you the proper proportions for flies, or if you follow the formula, about anything else. The Golden Mean is a measurement in nature that most every proportion in nature follows. But your eye gets eventually to do this, so close as necessary.

I have been tying off and on for over 40 years and I still struggle with it. Guess what...I still catch fish......If you get the problem fixed let me know your secret....