Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Regal Medalion vs. Dyna King Barracuda

I had a Thompson A which worked fine until I splurged on a Regal. I still use it to this day. The hook spitting thing is actually kind of exciting from time to time and is ALWAYS attributable to operator error. I used a Danvise for a while and just ordered a Peak. Does anyone remember the Herter's 11R. That was a rotary vise on steroids.

After chipping a jaw, I returned it to Regal and upgraded to the stainless jaws.

Did Regal allow you to upgrade your existing jaws when you sent them in for repair? Or did you buy the stainless jaws out right? If upgraded, what was the cost?

I keep hearing folks talk about the jaws spitting a hook across the room. Never had that happen, and it won't, if you position the hook properly in the jaws. And they tell you how to do that.

I have been using Regal's for almost 30 years and have had a few hooks pop out of the jaws. I would love to have someone show me how to "properly" position a size 20 or smaller hook in a Regal without getting close to the edge of the jaws.

Good luck, Tony

After chipping a jaw, I returned it to Regal and upgraded to the stainless jaws.

Did Regal allow you to upgrade your existing jaws when you sent them in for repair? Or did you buy the stainless jaws out right? If upgraded, what was the cost?

I keep hearing folks talk about the jaws spitting a hook across the room. Never had that happen, and it won't, if you position the hook properly in the jaws. And they tell you how to do that.

I have been using Regal's for almost 30 years and have had a few hooks pop out of the jaws. I would love to have someone show me how to "properly" position a size 20 or smaller hook in a Regal without getting close to the edge of the jaws.

Good luck, Tony

It's been awhile but I believe Regal wanted $50.00 to repair the standard jaws and another $100.00 to upgrade to the stainless. Klutz that I am, for me it was well worth it.

Good Luck

I got rid of my Regal. As said before, it spits small hooks . I don't care how well it holds a hook, I would NEVER buy a vise that says to wear safety glasses while tying. Probably to shield them from lawsuits. There are vises that hold hooks equally well and don't need carry a warning.

"I did notice that Regal advises wearing safety glasses when using their vise......Hmmmmmm.......
Maybe next, it will be my eyeball needing repair.''

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397496

"If you will look on the instructions provided by Regal, the suggest wearing safety glasses.smile.png"

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/regal-vise-projectiles.90724/

The regular jaws also chip so buy the one with the stainless steel jaw, if you buy a Regal.

http://forums.flytyer.com/forum/7-tools-a-material/11984-the-regal-vise

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?22562-Anyone-use-a-Regal-Vise

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/review/39

I have owned both Regal and DK,,,, the Regal does spit out small hooks very easily when tension on the tying thread pulls down on the hook. The then jaws slam together and chip out frequently.

My DK is about 20 years old and still has the original jaws,,,, none of my friends who use the DK products has ever "worn out" any of the jaws.

Regards,

FK

I have been using Regal vises for about 20 years. I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many thousands hooks I have put through them. In that time I have had exactly one hook ejected. Yes, it chipped the jaws.

I position hooks in the vise as shown below and haven't had a problem. The hook is a size 22 Vince Marinaro Midge hook.

22hookinRegal_zps153138cd.jpg

My first vise was and is a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose. I like it alot. But I have always been intimitated by others who have spoken so glowingly of their Regals, Peaks, Dyna Kings, ad nauseum. I never seem to hear much from the Griffin owners for some reason. Since I have had no experience with any other vise, I never spoke up in a comparative manner and I do not do so now.But, I will say that A Griffin Mongoose is every bit as good as the others from what I've read from other owners. Not much of a recommentation I know but there it is! :)

I just went thru Regals web site an nowhere does it state anything about safety glass. I have tied on Regals vises for a total of 8-10 years of my 25 plus years of tying and I can say I have NEVER shot a hook out of my Regal vise. What it boils down to when you shot a hook out of the vise is operator error. I've tied just about every major vise company out there. Not properly setting the hook in the jaws for any vise could have negative effects on the jaws. Flaring the edges of the jaws, shooting hooks.

1. Thompson Model AA

2. Price Vise - Solid vice, just purchased a remake of the vise to have. if you set the hooks to shallow in this vise the edges would flare

3. Regal Vise - Fixed head, thought I needed to go rotary

4. Renzetti traveler - Didn't like the access to the back of the hook and how held bigger hooks. I did shoot a small hook out of this vise.

5. Dyna King Voyager- Solid vise, started going threw jaws at to fast of pace. I got tired of spending $60 dollars on new jaws.

6. Griffin Mongoose - thought I needed to go rotary again. access to the back of the hook and the vise seemed a little unstable at the rotary point.

7. Regal Vises- Stainless and Midge, also getting ready to buy the Revolution. These are the best vises for my style of tying.

I have yet to have a hook spit out of my Regal vise. I have tied down to size 22, although the bulk of my tying is size 12 to 18.

The web site does not have it but owners say that the documentation that comes the vise has it in the instructions. If my lawyers said to put a disclaimer statement about my equipment, of course it would not be placed on the web site.

Two separate owners on two separate BB's have said that Regals came with warning. What we need is a current owner to read the vise instructions that come with a current Regal to see if that still is the case.

I just went thru Regals web site an nowhere does it state anything about safety glass.

The warning to wear eye protection is on Regal's site, under service>warranty. And it's on the included paperwork. I see the warning as sound business practice, given that people are often reluctant to RTFM and follow simple directions.

In probably all my 30 years of tying, I've been aware of Regal's products and was never remotely interested in owning a Regal vise until the last few years. Images of chipped jaws turned me off, not to mention the thought of metal being shot into my eye. FFS, fly tying is supposed to be enjoyable, right?

Then I bought a Medallion last fall. Wasn't in need of another vise,..have several high quality models already. Ahh, but the Regal is a very good vise IF you're not concerned about rotary tying methods.

Actually, if you read what is on the website under service-warranty it states that you should always use eye protection when using A fly tying vise, which to me would mean that they recommend eye protection while using ANY fly tying vise. I'm sure that with almost any vise made there is a way to insert the hook in the vise and have it come out of the vise at a high rate of speed.

Rodney

You can spit a hook with any vise. The Regal has a reputation for spitting hooks because of the spring mechanism used to hold hooks, but I've done it with other vises as well. The Regal is a good vise that loads quickly and holds a wide range of hooks. It has advantages as well as disadvantages, but if it was completely flawed, it would not have survived as long as it has. I too like the OP shied away from the Regal due to hook spitting reports, but when I had a deal on one that was too good to pass up, I got one and now it is one of my favorites.

The more I read these threads, the more I begin to think that these sorts of discussions are pointless. Might as well ask someone what the best color is...

Regal has had the hook spitting/jaw chipping issues from day one. Early on Regal honored their lifetime warranty and replaced the chipped jaws. After a while they turned the blame for their flawed design onto the consumer and claimed "user error". Overall I have liked my Regal vise's and still use one now, I just don't agree with how they have handled their warranty claims. Seems like Regal has eliminated the problem with the stainless jaws because I have never heard of the spitting/chipping issue with them.

Good luck, Tony