Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Regal Medalion vs. Dyna King Barracuda

The more I read these threads, the more I begin to think that these sorts of discussions are pointless. Might as well ask someone what the best color is...

You, Sir, are absolutely correct.

I fully understand there are new tiers who come to this site all the time, but as one who has been here for several years, it seems as if there must be a thousand topics about "this vise or that vise, which should I get?"

I currently tie on a Renzetti Traveller and Master vises and have for over 20 years. No spit hooks and no chipped jaws. My first vise was a Thompson Model A, then the Regal and then an HMH Standard. No spit hooks with the Thompson or the HMH Standard vises either.

With the Regal, I must be a klutz because I lost more that a few small hooks. I sold it after 3 years of tying.

The Regal jaws continue to close until they slam shut. As the hook slips out, the jaws continue to exert pressure around the curved edge of the hook and this spits the hook.

The main problem as I see it is that the vise cannot be adjusted for the amount of pressure the jaws exert on the hook shank. With a standard vise, the operator sets the hooks pressure.

Just enough and no more, so when if the hook slips out, the jaws do NOT slam shut.

Secondly, when you can set the initial jaw separation as you can with a Renzetti, the jaws are set parallel to each other and the jaws clamp the hook so hook is clamped directly across from each other.

With a Regal you cannot widen the base of the jaws to put the jaw faces parallel. The only time the jaw faces are parallel is when the jaws are closed. When the jaws are forced apart to insert a hook, I think the hook is set into a jaws that are in a very slight "V" shape and this tends to push the hook out the open side of the "V".

The new Regal-esque vise, the Magna-Vise has optional midge jaws. For those who prefer the Regal style vise, this may be the vise to buy if one ties small.. It looks like a well-made / high quality tool. Personally, I want to try one.

With a Regal you cannot widen the base of the jaws to put the jaw faces parallel. The only time the jaw faces are parallel is when the jaws are closed. When the jaws are forced apart to insert a hook, I think the hook is set into a jaws that are in a very slight "V" shape and this tends to push the hook out the open side of the "V".

That isn't how they work. The jaws angle slightly in toward the tips when they are closed. They are parallel when they are open fairly wide to insert a hook. They are only past parallel when they are open enough for quite a large hook, that you would probably want to seat into the 'pocket'.

The more I read these threads, the more I begin to think that these sorts of discussions are pointless. Might as well ask someone what the best color is...

You, Sir, are absolutely correct.

I fully understand there are new tiers who come to this site all the time, but as one who has been here for several years, it seems as if there must be a thousand topics about "this vise or that vise, which should I get?"

Yes, and they all boil down to the same thing. Every vise that has been around for a while has its fans. I try not to run down other people's choices. For me, the Regal does what I want and I have had none of the hook-spitting problems that others report. Ultimately, the only person who can really tell if a vise is the right one for a particular tier is the tier himself. The best way to do that is to go to a shop and tie on several vises to see which one is best for you. Failing that, you pays your money, you takes your chances, and YMMV.

I ended up with the regal. I read the instructions and took off. Tied from 18-6 yesterday afternoon. It is a rockstar. I appreciate everyones imput! thanks for helping me make an informed decision!!!!

I predict you will be very happy with your new Regal. I know I was thrilled after I got mine.

I'd agree with the idea that they are just different. Now, if you are not going to use the rotary function for winding materials, and it would just be a way to zap the full fly with a UV torch or to check if things are going on right... I err to the Regal.

If your going to tie smaller stuff I'd go with the SS jaws. I used the standard jaws for literally more than 20 years (from one of the original Regals back in the 80s). If I messed up I may have broken a hook or two - but all the hooks I broke were when tying big hooks and trying to get them into the little groove. I still have my standard jaw equipped Regal that I use on big bass flies and saltwater / pike flies... but the SS Jaws - which was a gift, and I thought, would only be my sub size 20 vice - became my go to. I use that thing for basically all my trout tying, and even some of my bass bug and medium sized bass / big trout streamers.

For the range you are talking about, the standard medallion Jaws would be the way to go... but consider in the future buying a set of SS jaws if you do a lot in that 18 or smaller area.

I don't think you could have went wrong with any of the choices you mentioned, each vise has its followers and what might work wonders for one person doesn't do much for someone else. Congrats on your purchase and let us know how things turn out with the Regal.

Rodney