Fly Tying
breambuster

Fishing With A Guide

I am a Warmwater Fisherman, but there are a very few trout streams in the Upstate of South Carolina along the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Primarily the Chattooga and the Chauga. Recently a man & his wife have opened a fly fishing shop in that area and he is offering Guide Services. My sweet wife gave me a 1/2 day guided fishing trip for Christmas this year, and I've planned a trip this coming Tuesday. The cost was $175.00. My question, though, is: "Is it customary to give the guide a "tip" at the end of the trip?" And if so, how much would be appropriate? I have never been on a guided hunting or fishing trip before and would appreciate any information about this. I just want to do the right thing and treat the guy right. But $175.00 for half a day sounds like pretty good money to me. He will supply the flies and the waders, boots, whatever. And I will bring my own fly rod. I'm supposed to meet him at his shop between Noon and 12:30 and we will stay until close to dark.

Thanks

Breambuster.

I'd start with 20% and go up if it is a great day / he's working hard and/or a great teacher. The cost goes to cover a lot of things beyond his personal expenses.

I was told it was 10% and up, depending on the day and how the guide was. That's a pretty good rate, my last trip cost $450 for a whole day on the river, but it depends on the demand of the area I would guess.

Blane

By the time you pay for a Forestry permit, and a million dollar liability policy, the overhead of the shop and all the other costs associated with taking you fishing, I can assure you $175 is nothing but a drop in the bucket... On the other hand, I am also a fishing guide... Guides shouldn't expect a tip because they are just that, a nice thing at the end of the day. But not to be expected. But also know that guides work hard at their jobs as well, and their is a lot of work that you don't see before and after the trip, and it is nice to be rewarded for a job well done. Just do what feels right is the best advice I can give you.. Hopefully you enjoy your day!

I talked to a guide friend of mine here in Florida about tips a few months ago. Here's basically what he said.

Waiters and waitresses get paid below minimum wage, with tips expected to bring them up to at least that.

Guides charge enough to cover costs and make a profit. A good guide is making a comfortable living. How many other jobs do you know that can pay $300 to $500 a day? No tip should be expected.

Start at 0. If you had a good day, but didn't catch any fish, then no tip should be offered. You could've done that on your own.

If you catch fish, but nothing spectacular, then you might throw a tip equal to a meal at a restaurant ... but he wouldn't recommend more than $20.00.

If you have a fun day, and catch at least one fish that is a memorable or trophy moment, then feel free to tip as much as you can afford.

Most guides know that their fee is more than a lot of people can truly afford and should not take offense if no tip is offered, even for a great day on the water. They would rather you spread the word and bring them more business with word of mouth. Asking for business cards and telling the guide you'll be sure to tell all your fishing friends can be the best tip ever.

Most so called "clients" are given to understand that a significant tip is expected, that they are somehow obligated to tip, and that it is more or less mandatory. I have issues with that. I have hired exactly one guided trip in my life, in Florida when my son was young and we wanted to fish and he was excited about it. I did a bit of research and booked a half day with a bass guide, which ended up involving an hour drive to "his" lake (in central Florida!!! you can't spit without hitting a lake) and we did catch a few nice bass, he helped my son some, and he fished the whole time as well as us. All day I heard how difficult a guide's life is. The tip was very small, and based solely on him being attentive to my kid and giving him a few fast laps around the lake in his BasCar.

I have already written here about the arrogant behavior of other guides I have witnessed and been subject to from time to time in various places... including being TOLD that I must leave a stretch of a 100% public access steelhead stream in the Great Lakes by a guide who had a "paying client", as soon as they came around the bend.... and been literally almost pushed out of places in my kayak by guides in boats bringing their sports to the good spots.

Maybe trout guides are different. I don't know but I doubt it.

Someone CHOOSES to try to make a living fishing, taking people out in the outdoors, having to carry the insurance, all the BS that goes along with it, then that is their choice. I'm not of the opinion that ANYONE deserves a tip for doing something they want to do, unless it is purely an act of goodwill. I've been in service to people my entire life, and not only would I consider it unethical to accept a tip but in most cases it would be illegal. The overwhelming majority of us find something we are competent at, and are able to support ourselves and families with... under contractual agreements with other parties (employers mostly) and have no expectation of bonuses. Someone who wants to FISH FOR A LIVING and also expects tips??? That's the ENTITLEMENT GENERATION at it's finest.

I suppose if you go into a guide/sport relationship willingly, then you are accepting the perceived obligation to tip.

Most so called "clients" are given to understand that a significant tip is expected, that they are somehow obligated to tip, and that it is more or less mandatory. I have issues with that. I have hired exactly one guided trip in my life, in Florida when my son was young and we wanted to fish and he was excited about it. I did a bit of research and booked a half day with a bass guide, which ended up involving an hour drive to "his" lake (in central Florida!!! you can't spit without hitting a lake) and we did catch a few nice bass, he helped my son some, and he fished the whole time as well as us. All day I heard how difficult a guide's life is. The tip was very small, and based solely on him being attentive to my kid and giving him a few fast laps around the lake in his BasCar.

I have already written here about the arrogant behavior of other guides I have witnessed and been subject to from time to time in various places... including being TOLD that I must leave a stretch of a 100% public access steelhead stream in the Great Lakes by a guide who had a "paying client", as soon as they came around the bend.... and been literally almost pushed out of places in my kayak by guides in boats bringing their sports to the good spots.

Maybe trout guides are different. I don't know but I doubt it.

Someone CHOOSES to try to make a living fishing, taking people out in the outdoors, having to carry the insurance, all the BS that goes along with it, then that is their choice. I'm not of the opinion that ANYONE deserves a tip for doing something they want to do, unless it is purely an act of goodwill. I've been in service to people my entire life, and not only would I consider it unethical to accept a tip but in most cases it would be illegal. The overwhelming majority of us find something we are competent at, and are able to support ourselves and families with... under contractual agreements with other parties (employers mostly) and have no expectation of bonuses. Someone who wants to FISH FOR A LIVING and also expects tips??? That's the ENTITLEMENT GENERATION at it's finest.

I suppose if you go into a guide/sport relationship willingly, then you are accepting the perceived obligation to tip.

+1. Couldn't agree more. The whole tipping thing is out of control everywhere you look.

Wow, I haven't been with a guide many times in my life but have only experienced professional, personable, and very helpful guides. Some have been better than others but none have been bad or anywhere near to what you experienced. I wouldn't give much of a tip if I were in your shoes either.

I've seen a lot of bad ones but I know a lot of good ones too. Bass guides, trout guides, salt guides. There are a lot of good ones out there. You can't base everything off of one bad experience.

I know one in particular, a trout guide, and if he guided your kid you might not feel obligated to tip but I bet you wouldn't walk away without tipping him. There are some real classy guides out there that will try everything to make it a great experience.

This same topic is becoming more of an issue here now too on salmon beats. Gone are the days where the gillie lived below a living wage with Tips letting them simply live. Now Gillies have a better basic wage, often with a house included on the estate. If you then factor in a tip of just 10% of a days fishing over a season on top beats they can be looking at +$10000 a year CASH! Wonder if they fill a tax return for that? I'd love someone to give me 10% extra just for doing the job I charge them for to start with.

This same topic is becoming more of an issue here now too on salmon beats. Gone are the days where the gillie lived below a living wage with Tips letting them simply live. Now Gillies have a better basic wage, often with a house included on the estate. If you then factor in a tip of just 10% of a days fishing over a season on top beats they can be looking at +$10000 a year CASH! Wonder if they fill a tax return for that? I'd love someone to give me 10% extra just for doing the job I charge them for to start with.

Ummm ... I don't know what a "Gillie" is ... but if they're getting a free house, then they're ahead right from the start.

I will says that tips are supposed to be reported as taxable income. If you want to tip someone WELL, for a job exceptionally done, then tip them cash and pay the bill separately. They can choose not to report any or all cash at their own risk. If you want to tip, just for the sake of tipping, then do it by credit card with the payment. No way to NOT report the taxes on tips paid this way.

The AVERAGE panhandler in southern U.S.A. (where they can get out all year long) can make upwards of $30,000.00 a year, all tax free since they don't report any of that.

Gillie is the traditional name for guides in UK. Think wise old local driving round fatcat city types, casting for them, hooking fish for them and then handing them the rod to wind it in. They also had/have the job of policing the river, chasing off poachers both human and of the blubber variety (not anymore tut tut) and managing the river for spawing grounds etc.