Fly Tying

Fly fishing is an angling method in which an artificial "fly" is used to catch fish. The fly is cast using a fly rod, reel, and specialized weighted line. Casting a nearly weightless fly or "lure" requires casting techniques significantly different from other forms of casting. Fly fishermen use hand tied flies that resemble natural invertebrates or other food organisms, or "lures" to provoke the fish to strike.

Does that mean dapping with artificial flies isn't fly fishing?

Cheers,

C.

Fly fishing is an angling method in which an artificial "fly" is used to catch fish. The fly is cast using a fly rod, reel, and specialized weighted line. Casting a nearly weightless fly or "lure" requires casting techniques significantly different from other forms of casting. Fly fishermen use hand tied flies that resemble natural invertebrates or other food organisms, or "lures" to provoke the fish to strike.

Or in other words, fishing with a fly.

Since when do you need a reel for it to be fly fishing? People who try to tell me what is and is not fly fishing are ignorant morons in my book. Who cares what you call it? As long as I enjoy it you can show your upstream, dry fly, on a chalk stream, with a bamboo rod up your arse.

1st post a subject that often creates arguments. Makes me wonder the motives behind the post.

Rereading Dynamic Nymphing today I was struck when he noted that the older he gets the more open he becomes to different approaches/techniques. The context was using indicators but I don't think there is reason to limit the point. Self-imposed restrictions are one thing but people who worry about how other people legally 'fly fish' have too much time on their hands.

Or equipment at all. Just swim in there and grab fish in your teeth !!!

Or equipment at all. Just swim in there and grab fish in your teeth !!!

That's what I do.

Funny-Pictures-i-chose-to-be-a-man-meme.

Wikipedia's great isn't it! smile.png

I thought it was the most addictive thing known to mankind!

I was told smoking pot is also a big fun. I see fly fishing as catching fish with a rod, line & fly (artificial lure put together with thread & glue). Reels, guides, special lines, etc. are optional. If one is using bobbers, sinkers, metal lures, and bait, it is not fly fishing. IMHO.