Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HighPlainsDrifter

Dollar Store Wrapping Paper Spoon

Ah, Skimmer; I love it when you talk like that. Checked my fishin' hole twice today, and didn't see any fish, but the egrets have arrived for the season. Also a ton of cormorants - there's gotta be something that's attracting them. Think I'll go back tonight at low tide and see what I can see. Met a guy over there yesterday who fly fishes - got some pretty good info. He says the beach fishing for bull reds is really hot from May into June, but there should be some in April.

Hey, don't worry about ADD - considering the deep-rooted psychological disorders that permeate these pages, ADD is something most of us would put on our resumes.

Hey, don't worry about ADD - considering the deep-rooted psychological disorders that permeate these pages, ADD is something most of us would put on our resumes.

I am just glad I don't have AD ... oh look, a butterfly ...

Cute little Red.

Thats a fair assesment. It's the first fish I've caught on a fly that I tied myself, so even though she's small in stature, she will live large in my memory (and hopefully in the river since I released her).

That red looks like a 12#er to me.

.....well I finally mixed up some epoxy and stuck my finger bravely into the nasty mixture.....I found that it was an excellent method to ruin some good hooks and other tying materials. I did a fine job messing up the mylar spoons that I had started. I just put them in my round fly box along with my other scrap materials. I now have 2 options as I see to for some spoons in my box. I can buy them or do a different method of making them. ...Now I need to go re-do my nails

Cute little Red.

Thats a fair assesment. It's the first fish I've caught on a fly that I tied myself, so even though she's small in stature, she will live large in my memory (and hopefully in the river since I released her).

You didn't mention that in your first post. First on your own fly ... is a great feeling. Enjoy it. But for me, every fish on one of my own flies feels just as good.

Cute little Red.

You didn't mention that in your first post. First on your own fly ... is a great feeling. Enjoy it. But for me, every fish on one of my own flies feels just as good.

Yes indeed. I was beside myself. The best part was how it destroyed that spoon. No half hearted take, it hit with boundless energy and furious anger!

Sounds like my wife when she is chewing me a new one

How do you like the Kraken XLA? I have the original Kraken on a BVK as well and it's pretty sweet. The XLA has been making me drool tho...

That red looks like a 12#er to me.

.....well I finally mixed up some epoxy and stuck my finger bravely into the nasty mixture.....I found that it was an excellent method to ruin some good hooks and other tying materials. I did a fine job messing up the mylar spoons that I had started. I just put them in my round fly box along with my other scrap materials. I now have 2 options as I see to for some spoons in my box. I can buy them or do a different method of making them. ...Now I need to go re-do my nails

Not to worry, Ray - I'm working on something that should leave your nail art intact. Gotta get my fishing license today so I can do a little testing - if it works out, I should have a prototype ready in a week or so.

Hey PeterJay......too bad about you young fellas. Here in TN and IN when one turns 65 he gets a permanent fishing license. One of the few advantages to getting old. That and being able to get senior citizens discounts at a hand full of places. So when you reach the age of maturity you too should not need to buy a license every year. ....Now if I can just talk the fly shop to offer a senior citizen discount.

Ya know, I never thought about that, I'll have to check. I don't think there are lifetime saltwater licenses here, (I usually get a boat license) but I do remember that Rhode Island must have had discounts for morons who fished jetties on weekends. At least that's when most of them showed up. At least down here, a man can fish on Saturdays and Sundays without carrying a machete.

Up until a few years ago, you didn't need a license to fish saltwater from the shore ... or anything attached to the shore. Then the Federal Government said they wanted to start selling licenses for salt water. All the Stated jump right on that. Now you need a saltwater license for most States. The State Governments say it's to keep the Federal Government from charging you ... but it's just another ploy to get more money from people.

Sorry ... that turn into a rant, and I didn't want that. Only wanted to explain that NOW, you need saltwater licenses to fish from those Jetties. Didn't need to when those "morons" (those of us who don't have sea worthy boats are now morons, I guess) were fishing out there.