Fly Tying
COMike

Beginner from Colorado...

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to the world of Fly Fishing and have just finished building my very first Fly Rod! The experience was truly a blessing and it has helped me in so many ways. I have nothing but praises for the volunteers at Project Healing Waters. Was it not for them I doubt I would even attempt fly fishing at all.

I retired from the USAF 4 years ago and health issues have precluded me from getting back into fishing. I have fished for over 35 years but I had always thought that fly fishing was something too complex or expensive to even attempt. I suppose it is like any hobby/passion/addiction :) that once you get "hooked" you are in it for life!

The entire rod building experience was very therapeutic for me and I met some incredible folks. One thing that I found was that when I was wrapping guides and attempting some basic creative touches is that I was essentially pain free. My brain was so engrossed in the details that I didn't have a care in the world. Several of the volunteers and all of the folks in our class recommended that I start learning how to tie my very own flies. They all stated that it was VERY relaxing and rewarding.

My goal is to be able to tie my own flies, use the rod that I built, and actually begin to catch my first trout! My wife is 110% supportive of me in this. She was actually brought to tears seeing just how happy I was and my pain left me during my rod building.

I started learning about fly tying about a week ago (while I was waiting for my epoxy to set on my rod) and started making a list of things I would need to begin. I had not found this community until late last night and figured this would be a great place to learn and share experiences.

Thanks for allowing me to become a member here!

Regards,

Mike :)

Welcome to the forum Mike, I am so pleased that you have discovered fly tying and rod building. If I can help with anything let me know. I have been tying flies longer than I've been building rods but I can help with both.

Thanks folks!

I am trying to figure out just what I need as far as supplies goes.....can't empty the bank account though. I am really considering the Peak Rotary Vise. Manufactured up in Loveland CO and I am a HUGE proponent of supporting local businesses whenever I can!

That's a good vise for sure - many people use it. Where in Colorado are you?

Jim,

I am in Monument Colorado. We love it here and are NEVER moving again (until it is time to put us out to pasture)...LOL

The vise gets a lot of good reviews and I plan on being in this for a long time. Great warranty, rotary functions that I may use, made here in Colorado. I know that I can use just about any vise that does the job but I kind of have my mind set on this one and my wife is REALLY eager to get me something for my birthday. We don't exchange gifts much but she really sees just how much me keeping occupied is helping my well being.

Finding tying supplies is another daunting thing. There are SOOO many things out there I am going talk to some of the guys that are tying with Healing Waters and ask one of the shops in town I really like as well.

We really like Anglers Covey...so far all of my purchases have been there. Some really kind folks there that always have the time and patience to go over things with me. They even helped my wife cast a few times!!!! I would love to get her into fly fishing!

Welcome Mike. So glad to hear that you've discovered the therapeutic effects rod building and fly tying. I've been doing both for a long time and I love helping others who are getting started. This forum contains a wealth of knowledge and experience, so feel free to ask all the questions you want. :)

I can also vouch for the quality of the Peak rotary vise. I've tied on one for the last two years and I love it. Great tool, excellent value. You won't be disappointed.

Welcome to the addiction. :)

Thanks for the warm wishes and the tips. I have spoken with a few folks that really love their Peak Rotary Vise Bryon....I am glad you like it as well! I agree that it is an excellent value and I am glad they are made locally here in Colorado as well :)

Addiction is the correct word! I am happy my wife is excited for me as well....it is a blessing to have her by my side! Now I just have to get her "hooked" into fly fishing....she says it "isn't her thing" but I think with time she will warm up to fishing with me!

Here are a couple of shots of my first rod build....

The first picture is of the thread inlays with color preserver (I ended up redoing them because they were a bit off)

post-52487-0-64326700-1395379089_thumb.jpg

The second picture is the Excel drawing I made to allow me to make my trout picture.

post-52487-0-23623000-1395379098_thumb.jpg

The final picture is a closer look at the trout and some of the guide wraps.

post-52487-0-95842500-1395379105_thumb.jpg

I wish I had taken better pictures of them but when I get the rod back I will be sure to take some pictures with a real camera and NOT from the cel phone.

Thanks Jim....I am so proud just to have finished it! Our teacher Jim is an incredible individual and told us to be creative so I took that to heart! One of the guys in our class did some butt wrapping in a diamond pattern with many colors that simply FLOORED me. Now HE has talent!

HI COMike,

I am a fairly new tyer and i have been using the Peak rotary vise for about 4 months, I like it a lot and it seems to suit me just fine. You will not be disappointed.