Fly Tying
Red John

2014 Trout opening day plans?

I'm hoping to be standing on my little brook trout creek 6am opening morning, still a month and 6 days to go..... But ill be the only one there...

Tell me that's some record attempt and not a real situation?

not a record attempt and yes its real

come on over and go ice fishing

MERCURY_ICE_FISHING_16-1024x682.jpg

That ice fishing picture is just.. I am spechless... Here in New York, well atleast were I live Opening day dosen't mean huge crowds of people. infact most streams willl only have 1-2 people for the whole stream. Lakes although have alot more people.

But the creek I fish, no one else fish's there. So I plan on having the stream to myself.

Red John must not live near the well known Catskill rivers.

Steve

Correct. I Live more west of those rivers.

That looks like the Walleye run in the Maumee River, Toledo. Elbow to elbow, and they say every 5th guy is a DNR guy looking for snaggers. Been in Toledo 40 years and never fished the Maumee during the walleye run, and certainly won't.

I usually head up to the small feeder streams that flow into the Manistee for opening day of Trout season in Michigan. I'll go for a week or so, and stay in the State Forest. Been doing that for MANY years, and never see anyone on the water. They're all busy bumping into each other on the "big name" rivers. OK by me.

At least you guys have some man power with the DNR, you're lucky to see an MNR CO once a month around here, and if you call to report MAYBE one out of 20 times a guy will show up.

One out of twenty? I think that's giving them more credit then they deserve.... Their never around here... Well actually, their always at canadian tire with te brand new boat on the trailer but I doubt its ever hit the water