Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

chironomid fly patterns

This is a frame from a short video I tried to take of bugs on the water. It was taken while I was in Massachusetts last year. February, snow on the ground, ice still on the lakes, but the rivers were open and flowing.

I got to this back water off the river, and several wakes showed as fish left the area. I never did catch any, but as far as I could tell, they were up in 2 feet of water or less, feeding on these tiny insects.

Sorry the picture isn't good enough to ID ... but that's my index finger just touching the water..

I wish I was better at pics but I've tied up some double Chronos. A size 14 2x long curved shank hook with a small white poly head, white bead, black thread and white wire, then do the same thing on the back part of the hook. Then a size 16 2x long curved shank hook with a small black tungsten bead, poly gills, black thread and white wire and another tungsten bead and repeat. Don't know if it's supposed to look like they're mating or just more attractive in size overall but still representing the tiny midges. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. Don't know how they'll work but I sure like the effect. You could still use them as an anchor with small unweighted thread midge on back.

Yep, Phil Rowley and Brian Chan are definitely top-notch. I have Phil's book, plus a DVD he and Jack Dennis did a few years back, and I have spent many happy hours tying his patterns. Phil also has a lot of videos on Youtube and seems like a pretty good guy. At least, he has always been responsive to any questions I have asked.

I don't normally tie this small. Several weeks ago, last time I was home, I was reading some post about tiny flies. I had some left over hooks from my old kit, and just tied these to get rid of them. I tried fishing one today, but that's on another thread.