Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michaelt

products on Ebay

Has any one purchased rooster capes from Ebay and if so what is the quality of those items or any that you have purchased.

Depends on what you need to tie with it as far as quality. There are some very good sellers who sell good quality hackle. However, buying some types of hackle sight unseen may not be the best way for your tying purposes. I rarely tie dry flies, but some of the "dry fly" saddles & necks I've purchased would be well suited for dry flies. Some were sold with the dry fly description, but IMO were not good hackle for dry flies, but we're fine for flies such as Woolly Buggers which is what I buy them for tying. I've also purchased other items with very few problems. The trick is finding a good seller & knowing the correct questions to ask.

Most folks will likely say to be sure of what you're getting, buy from a reputable shop & in person. That way you see what you're buying.

I agree, as long as you know the differences in types of hackle. If not, then you will have to rely on someone more knowledgable to help you select what you need. You may not get that from an EBay seller. Of course you might not get that from a fly shop either.

If you're not tying dry flies, then there are some sellers who have very good hackle for other tying purposes. The better sellers will have good feedback & repeat customers. Poor sellers won't.

I've bought hen hackle (Whiting) from eBAy. I wouldn't buy a rooster neck from a source I didn't know, however. BUT...a bad genetic neck is better than anything you could get back when. I recently tied up a couple of flies from an old Indian neck I had, and it took two feathers to get a hackle, and would have looked better with three. It's doable, but I need good hackle to make up for my lack of skill.

Can't expect a $60 neck for $30. You'll be able to tie with cheaper necks, but since there is no uniform grading system for hackle, you're essentially buying a pig in a poke.

If you're looking for common colors like brown, grizzly, ginger, etc., just look at the feedback score for 100 % or very close to it if they have sold a lot of stuff. Of course, study the prices too. If it's for hard to get colors besides cree, beware, since digital cameras tend to adjust color shades to the background colors and the cape or saddle might not be actually close to the exact shade that you want. Stay away from sellers with fuzzy pictures, or pictures of the pelt that's only in the bag. You want it out of the bag and with that close-up feature that really goes close in, not just enlarges the entire pic a little. Some capes can be dyed too, so if you really like natural rooster hackle, you either have to send them a question to make sure or rely on what they have written down in the description area. Some folks that buy fly tying stuff from estate sales and try turning it around on eBay can't answer all that much about them either. It's not a complete crapshoot though, you just have to know what you want and what to look for.

Regards,

Mark