Fly Tying
Fly1

Hooks - barbed or barbless?

Do you use barbed hooks or barbless? Do you think it makes a difference?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which kind of hook to do prefer to use when fly fishing and why?

Concider hooks with flattened barbs as being barbless as well.

Do you think you get better catch rates using barbed hooks?

I use barbed because I can crush down the barb when regulations call for barbless or fish are taking fly too deep to effectively release without harming them.

OSD.

i use all bardless hooks, even in waters that don't require it. I find it is abit easier on the fish if you are releasing them . barbless hooks are also alot easier to free from you skin if you have a stray cast.

I smash down the barbs on all the flys that I tie. Seems to be easier to release the fish or take the fly out of some sort of clothing that I may hook on myself.

The only reason I don't use all barbless is that they are not readily available, and at a decent price.

I haven't been able to see any provable difference in hooking power.

I fish a lot of project water that calls for barbless hooks, got checked once and forgot to pinch it down. Now I pinch all of them down at the vise, saves alot of explaining.

I voted for both just because I use a lot of circle hooks that I haven't figured out a sure-fire way of mashing the barb without compromising the tip...

All others are barbless...when you catch a lot of bluefish you appreciate the ease of getting the hook out.

As for losing fish - I don't think I've ever lost a fish merely because I was using a barbless hook - but I do think a barbed hook gives you the freedom to make a few mistakes and get away with it.

I use barbless ("smashed" barbs) on all my flies. I mash them before putting the hook in the vice..... three reasons.....

1. Makes C & R easier.

2. If I get the hook in me during tying or casting, much easier to get out of the skin..... (Make that my #1 reason!!)

3. I've heard it takes a lot out of your fishing day when the game warden finds a barbed hook in your fly box and you're in a barbless stretch of the river.

Hint: After you tie, first thing you should do is check and sharpen your hook point.

I've fished both ways "pre-flyfishing" days and I found very little difference in hook-ups. It's a little easier for the fish to get the hook out without a barb, but if you're playing him right, he won't get the chance..... wink.gif

Arkie, is it true that on C&R in AR, a hook has to go through clothing, and out, without any resistance?

Wayne,

The '04 Trout Handbook illustrates how to crimp a barb to make it barbless. It states "Crimped completely, the hook is smooth and will not snag when passed

through cloth." Other than that "suggestion" I don't see any definition in either handbook of a barbless hook other than it has been "crimped." I've heard the wardens will use one of two methods. Either poke it in their shirt/vest or run their fingernail across to check for a barb.

I've never been checked. But I bet you can find some of the guys on FFAM that have. Might be a good post for that forum.

BTW.... The '05 Fishing handbook is out. Don't think the '05 Trout book is available yet.

AGFC '05 Fishing Handbook