Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

The Permanent Eye Fly

Reading different threads on this site always gets me thinking. Usually, I am just thinking about going fishing, but this time was unique.

Crease flies ... called that, I assumed, because the foam is folded over, creased to make the body. If I am wrong on that, oh well ... it's where my head was going.

Eyes, and how to attach them so they won't fall off ... gotta come up with something for that.

So, I have these beads. I bought them without any point of reference (craft store buy) and then realized the hole was too small to get it on the hook.

I have this copper wire, I know not where it came from, too big for any ribbing.

So I started making crease fly, sort of. And I use the wire and bead to make an eye, sort of.

After gluing the foam on ... I think the eye(s) will give a neat effect under the water.

I am still getting used to using sharpies for coloring flies ... Wife got me a set for Christmas.

I hope the eyes pass more light through with sunlight shining on it.

At least I solved one problem on this type of fly, for me anyway ... this eye ... these eyes, won't fall off !!!

Very nice, I think your on to something with that one.

Thanks guys. It IS a work in progress.

I believe I'll need a much larger hook, if I want the body to sit vertically in the water. I think this one will probably lie flat on top ... but I'll know when I float in later today.

As planned, I was able to trim off the top until I reached an "equilibrium" between the hook and the foam. Shaped like this,

It floated vertically at the surface. Completely submerged but touching the surface, it flipped up and "skated" like a fleeing baitfish.

I think it's going to be a winner for me.

Update on the Permanent Eye Fly. It catches fish, although mostly it was Gar going after it yesterday. I did catch a few bass on the original prototype, and a few on the darker of the new ones.

BUT ... I put one coat of polish on the original, and it floats as described. The newest ones I tied, I put two coats of clear with sparkles and they sink. Very slow sink rate, they still swim vertically and they got bites, but not a surface fly anymore. I am going to try peeling the polish off, but I'll probably end up with some sinking Permanent Eye Flies and some floating Permanent Eye Flies.

Fine tuning the "float" might be a fly by fly process.