Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

steelhead trip??

Looks like I'm out for this weekend.

Too many irons in the fire for a road trip to Erie

Im out as well. Just getting over the flu.

I hope to make it next weekend.

Fishing was to good to take any pictures until the last day before we left with 2 limits caught in a hr. This run was holding 100 plus fish with another hole up stream that held 200+ with mostly hold overs but a few chromers where caught. The fishing should be excellent in 2 weeks If they get some rain and warmer weather.

user posted image

user posted image

Brent.

Sawcat tied me up some sparrows that took most of my fish and my buddy Mike used a black esl with just as good hook up rate.We never had a net man cause we both had fish on all the time laugh.gif The trip was a blast!

The Stones were hatching(super small maybe size 16)and while breaking off the shelf ice there were tons of Golbies 3 to 4" sunning under it.They were light gray with 2 dark stripes.I'd for sure tie a few patterns to match.Don't even bother with sucker spawn not 1 hit on em.

A older guy fishing next to me was using chartruese sucker spawn and the fish knew to get out of the way.So I gave him a bunch of flys to up his chances.He tied on a olive grizzle bead head bugger and was into fish on the first cast headbang.gif

He was nothing but smiles after 5 fish.

We striped the flies in with small strips and pauses like a minnow swimming. Lots of hard hits!

The bait fishermen had next to no luck on minnows even with the minnow right in the school of em. So I'm guessing dark colors are going to work for you guys as they did for us. Only one stretch of Elk was holding fish all other creeks were almost nill of fish. We walked miles and miles of rivers with no luck maybe seeing 5 fish on most of em. Any bridge crossing the creeks have fish under em so no need to walk far for fish.

Brent.

I'd love to be there in 2 weeks! If I get another push of snow here I may be able to make it during the week.I know by the end of the month the creeks are going to be crowded with people on the weekends.The phones were ringing non stop at the bait shops with people wanting reports.

Brent

As far as a trip to the PM goes I'm looking at going one day between the 11th and 16th of April. If anyone is going to be up then let me know.

is anyone planning on being up there this coming weekend? i am planning on heading up friday morning to a place yet to be determined and wouldnt mind some company.

is anyone planning on being up there this coming weekend? i am planning on heading up friday morning to a place yet to be determined and wouldnt mind some company.

I'm about 95% sure I'll be down on saturday morning, where were you thinking?

not quite sure yet. waiting to hear or see some reports. i know they were knocking them around in grand rapids this weekend, but somehow my dad didnt get the spawn i had tied up and he doesnt know how to work a fly lol.

i definately want to hit the pm or maybe another river down south of there. if you are up for it lets plan on hooking up and beating the water together. fishing is always better with company (kinda like sex isnt it?)

lets see how many more we can pull up over our way too.

I'll be on the PM real early on April 5th. If anyone else will be up there then or is thinking about it give me a shout.

Sign in to follow this