Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Spoons for KUDU

Made these for Kudu, I normally take a few months to complete an order but when he offered me his boat if I could make them for his trip to Florida next week, I figured he was serious and said to keep the boat, I'll still do it. I set a record and started and mailed them out in five days!

Look for them on the 26th Kudu.

Kirk

kirk-dietrich-albums-flies-picture1600-d

He's going to catch fish and then some with those… Great looking spoons Kirk, enjoy some fishing on the boat!

Kirk,Those look great. Is there a "go to" size you like for those or do you mix it up? I'll have to revisit your video and give em a shot.

Dave, I wish!

Mudskimmer, go to size is the #1 or 1/0. In the winter, when the reds down here are chasing tiny minnows, I've actually had a #4 get strikes when the #1 didn't. I've made them 3/0 long shank for bull reds and pike. Usually I change colors before size. If I'm using bright yellow or gold and they don't take or spook, I'll go to the black or brown, if they don't eat that, then I'll go to the smaller one. That being said, I rarely use a spoon these days unless I have to have some meat for dinner; have caught plenty of redfish for a lifetime, I prefer fishing a topwater fly most of the time until I get a few refusals and then I'll go to a streamer and then bottom bouncer. It's nice to have a fishery where you can actually try different flies and not change until getting several refusals, some redfish fisheries, you may only get a several shots all day - don't know how they decide what fly to use.

Kirk

Kirk

Fantastic job! Can't wait to take them down Dave's way. I tied some clousers, Dave's whitebait, wedding veils, and rich strolis realistic baitfish to go along with them. I'll let you know how it turns out. I owe you for the speediness. If you ever in Kentucky I can definitely take you fishing and then share some tales over a mug of beer or glass of Bourbon.

Kudu, thanks. Man, I would love to come up/over to Kentucky even just for the drink, maybe one day.

Agn, I thought you're already in Florida, guess I missed the suspense date...:-)

Kirk

Thanks Fisherboy, been doing that for years even though Lefty says our redfish are dumb. I'm convinced otherwise and believe they even read better than some of our 8th grade public school students; they have to cause they sure do eat the heck out of this fly (I know corny...).

Kirk

Hey! I'm an eight grade public school student!!!! Haha and I read on a 13.0 level, I've only caught one redfish, and it was little, and on a cut bait shiner, so I do r know much about them, but that they taste great!

Sorry bout that Fisherboy, when I said our, I meant down here in South Louisiana.

My wife taught 6th graders that were 17 years old reading on a 1st grade level.

Kirk

Mudskimmer, go to size is the #1 or 1/0. In the winter, when the reds down here are chasing tiny minnows, I've actually had a #4 get strikes when the #1 didn't. I've made them 3/0 long shank for bull reds and pike. Usually I change colors before size. If I'm using bright yellow or gold and they don't take or spook, I'll go to the black or brown, if they don't eat that, then I'll go to the smaller one. That being said, I rarely use a spoon these days unless I have to have some meat for dinner; have caught plenty of redfish for a lifetime, I prefer fishing a topwater fly most of the time until I get a few refusals and then I'll go to a streamer and then bottom bouncer. It's nice to have a fishery where you can actually try different flies and not change until getting several refusals, some redfish fisheries, you may only get a several shots all day - don't know how they decide what fly to use.

Kirk

Thanks for the details. Reds are still a bit of a novelty for me up in the Chesapeake area but if they keep showing up in numbers like the last couple of years I would really like to get better acquainted with them. The more options in the fly box the better.

I am the proud owner of a Kirk spoon and the action is superb. Especially if you can catch a bit of tide run and let them flutter and dead drift. Mine is mostly in a box along with one of Kirks balsa fish flies and some cool poppers from swaps. Really should fish it more but worried I'll loose it. Shame I don't have a few dozen to experiement with.........................whistling1.gif

Mudskimmer, you need to get with PeterJay.

Piker, that is cool to know. That flutter on the pause is one of the things this spoon does really well that most of the heavier epoxy spoons do not.

Thanks,

Kirk

Sorry bout that Fisherboy, when I said our, I meant down here in South Louisiana.

My wife taught 6th graders that were 17 years old reading on a 1st grade level.

Kirk

Hey, at least they could read SOMETHING. I actually went to school with guys who couldn't tell time. There was nothing wrong with them outside of pure ignorance.