Fly Tying
Spanky29ca

What does everyone do for work?

Good morning Mikechell,

Thank you for the compliment. I truly enjoy building these. It gives me time to use my hands and mind. I also like how it lets me use my creative side. As far as cost, I start at $4500, and time, I start with a piece of paper and a pencil, approx. 300 hours later I deliver a boat to the customer. I have built 11 boats to date and have one that is in production right now. I'd like to finish it this year, however life might get in the way of that happening.

Michael

Micheal the Kayak is beautiful, very nice woodworking skills you have. I love the inlay on the deck. I agree with Dan you should start up a new post and share some pics of your work, I'd enjoy seeing more of it myself.

Steve

Michael

You start with a piece of paper and a pencil... and you build a kayak? Wow! You must be one of those guys Ann Heche talked about in the movie "Six Days, Seven Nights". You know: "you give him a Q-tip and he builds you a shopping mall".

Nevertheless, the kayak is incredibly beautiful. I'd be afraid to use it lest I got a scratch on it. It reminds me of the old classic wooden outboard motorboats like my uncle used to have. Second the call for posting more photos.

I am completely humbled by your complements. Thank you All.

I will sit down sometime soon and see if I cam add more to the pictures.

FlaFly, I have put many sctatches in kayaks before. They are all repairable. That is one of thebest parts of these. I'll also post a picture of what it looks like when someone clips the kayak while it is on the truck. Again , everything is fully repairable.

Michael

Repairable or not, I'd cry if a boat like that got "clipped by a truck". A real work of craft, I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

C.

I flew AC130s and MC130s for twenty years in the USAF. Retired four years ago and haven't looked back!

Now I am pursuing the joy of Fly Fishing and all that it entails!

:)

During the first several years of my Marine Corps time, I was an Aviation Electronics technician on C130s. Great plane, most versatile aircraft ever built.

During the first several years of my Marine Corps time, I was an Aviation Electronics technician on C130s. Great plane, most versatile aircraft ever built.

.Not if you took a couple of nice rides off the end of the strip in AnKhe Vietnam cause the came in too hot and couldn't stop. LOL

That's pilot error ... not aircraft failure.

But of course, you would be correct ... that would be a "bad" experience.

I was not in Vietnam but I have witnessed my share of aircraft mishaps.

I have been an Air Traffic Controller for the past 20 years, so you could say I dont really work just get paid to sit around and talk. Spent 14 years in the Navy then decided I got paid more on the outside. I have been working as a civilian controller for the past 6 years and now I work for the Army in SE Germany.

Valuation analyst for 34 years. I do business appraisals and purchase price allocations for SEC and IRS compliance. The valuation industry was hit hard by the recession. 1/3rd of the people I knew lost their jobs and I was out of work for over a year. It's tough to get hired when you're over 60. Since 2010 I've been working as a subcontractor for two different valuation firms.