Fly Tying
jd1983

Rock bass/Goggle eye fishing

Based on your picture, Coinman ... I can say I've never caught a Rock Bass. I was wrong. My family always interchanged "Goggle Eye" and "Rock Bass" and it's always been a fish that looked like the one I have pictured above.

So, my original post on this thread is all about the Warmouth and how to catch one of those. Disregard if going after Rock Bass.

Disregard what I said also! I too was referring to the warmouth! I guess you learn something every day!

Based on your picture, Coinman ... I can say I've never caught a Rock Bass. I was wrong. My family always interchanged "Goggle Eye" and "Rock Bass" and it's always been a fish that looked like the one I have pictured above.

So, my original post on this thread is all about the Warmouth and how to catch one of those. Disregard if going after Rock Bass.

Mike, you're too hard on yourself. If you once lived up north, you caught rock bass up there. Warmouth are a southern, warm water fish.

As for feeding habits, rock bass and warmouth are very similar: insects (especially dragon fly nymphs), crustaceans and small fish. It's just the habitat that's different.

This type of confusion is normal when using colloquial names for fish. Obviously terminology can vary from region to region and the same names are often applied to multiple species of fish, especially when the word "bass" is used. When I first saw the title of thread I had something totally different in mind since on both FL coasts rock bass is another name for the black sea bass, a type of grouper. And a goggle-eye is a type of baitfish similar to small blue runner used for sailfish and other deep sea creatures.

I'm not being hard on myself ... I am going by visual clues.

I don't remember ever catching a fish that had a pattern this ...

I have caught fish all my life that looked just like this ...

So, I have always caught Warmouth ... calling them what I've always thought them to be Rock Bass A.K.A. Goggle Eye.

I don't care really, I'll forget this thread the next time I catch one and I'll probably continue to call it what I always have.

Coinman's pic is what I know as a rockbass or goggle eye. I used to catch them in Indiana streams while fishing for smallmouth. Usually in current and even in the riffles. I now catch them here in middle TN in the creeks. Again, usually in some current or riffle. They do like beetle spins, some streamers, and small dad patterns. I am mostly a C & R guy but I did catch a small mess many years ago to have a little fish fry. They were not good and I ended up throwing them out. I have always found them very active just before dark. They are not a fish to target as they are not good fighters. They can break up a slow day however.

The Rock Bass is what I always them as up north. Like ditz I tried eating them once and found them poor table fare. Maybe the southern warmouth is a better fish for food but rock bass were mostly a PITA when fish walleye or smallmouth in a lot lakes. One lake I fished at night for walleye a lot had so many rock bass in it I'd take kids fishing there and just have them keep dropping little jigs over the side and I was busy taking them off and throwing them back. At night I'd troll big 4-5" suckers and I'd keep feeling fish grabbing them and hanging on until I'd pull the sucker away. When there'd be a snap sudden movement it would walleye and at night in that they generally ran from 3-8#s. That's why I'd use suckers too big for the rock bass to get down.

I catch them a lot during the summer. They are very common in the Au Sable where I fish mostly. Some get pretty good sized as well, I've got them up to 10" which is a pretty decent sized one. I have not found them to be too picky on flies. Anything small top water works good, rubber legged poppers as well as most small streamers and nymphs work well for them too. I catch a lot of them on stimulators on the surface in the slack water areas during July & August.

I have caught them on 6" plastic worms and full size buzz baits while bass fishing they typically will hit any fly that a bluegill will with a little more gusto

I live just down from where the Gasconade and Big Piney rivers converge and the Goggle Eyes here will take anything a SMB will take. Just get it near structure, rocks and layovers, and, hold on as they all think they weigh 10 lbs not 5 oz. Bonus is you also catch some nice smallies too!