Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adventure568

Allen fly fishing or Hook and hackle

I plan to purchase about 100 or so hooks- they will be primarily streamer hooks and maybe some nymph hooks. I also might get some materials as well such as marabou and zonker strips. I'm debating between ordering from hook and hackle, allen fly fishing, and J stockard. Any advice or help is appreciated. I want to know which website has the best value hooks/materials. Thanks

Both are good I would throw in the fly shack as well. No tax free shipping plus I'm sure you can find a 10% discount code with a little searching.

Allen and GCO have the same quality hooks, free shipping on hooks from either. Good enough quality for fishing flies.

Fly Shack hooks are a little better quality, and a little more expensive.

H&H and JStockard are excellent sources for materials, but not the only ones. Just don't spread your order out too thin.

Allen and GCO have the same quality hooks, free shipping on hooks from either. Good enough quality for fishing flies.

H&H and JStockard are excellent sources for materials, but not the only ones. Just don't spread your order out too thin.

I disagree strongly, Allen hooks are 10X better in quality then what GCO offers. At first it seemed GCO had a good run of hooks, but my last two orders was filled with lots of defective hooks and the quality is just not there. Allen on the other hand had issues in years past with hook quality so moved operations to a new factory in Japan from what I understand and the quality of stuff they are selling now rivals major hook brands IMO.

Allen for hooks hands down.

I love Allen hooks, and they offer many discounts, and special deals if you join their email newsletter, that is where I buy all my hooks.

I've had nothing but good results dealing with any of the 3 sources mentioned. I haven't purchased from H & H in a long time however. The hooks from GCO I received were fine, and agree that the hooks from Allen are very good quality. Can't say they're any better than the ones GCO sent me, but I haven't ordered hooks from GCO in awhile either.

Other materials I buy are from various sources.

I will say that both Barlows Tackle & Lure Craft have a good selection of tying items. Again, what I've purchased from them has been limited, but both have been real good to deal with.

I have been pleased with J. Stockard hooks. I have only purchased their scud hooks, however I have been please with the quality and especially the price.

Michael

Another good option is Blue Quill Angler. They have free shipping on most things as long as you spend $5. These Umpqua hooks are pretty good and are currently on sale. http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Umpqua-U-Series/Umpqua-U-Series-U301-Streamer-Hook-50-Pack#.Uzh62txUsds This way you can get hooks and your tying supplies all in one spot.

I also have nothing but good things to say about Allen hooks. Great hooks and customer service. I will also have to disagree with the Allen and GCO hooks being the same quality. The GCO hooks I received had many defects particularly the eyes. They were dull and overall just horrible quality. I just threw them in the trash. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 companies you asked about. They are all top notch.

I have had great success with Allen Fly Fishing and found their hook to be of comparable or better quality than some of the top brands.

I have had good luck with Allen hooks. Stockard hooks are fine too. I ordered some hooks from GCO and found them to be generally OK, in the larger sizes, but the smaller sizes were poorly tempered and bent in the vise when attaching the thread. I have also found some good hook deals on ebay, but again, generally you get what you pay for. ymmv

Neither. If you need an inexpensive hooks, go with Mustad or Dai Riki. These independent suppliers that keep cropping up have recurring issues with quality control and more importantly maintaining stock, and you are better off paying a few more dollars and getting use to a readily available product.

I disagree strongly, Allen hooks are 10X better in quality then what GCO offers. At first it seemed GCO had a good run of hooks, but my last two orders was filled with lots of defective hooks and the quality is just not there. Allen on the other hand had issues in years past with hook quality so moved operations to a new factory in Japan from what I understand and the quality of stuff they are selling now rivals major hook brands IMO.

Allen for hooks hands down.

I have to agree, Allen hooks are top notch. I actually prefer some Allen hooks to their TMC, (etc) equivalents. The Allen 205BL thin wire caddis pupa/larvae hook is an excellent example. I've ordered well over a thousand hooks from Allen by now, and the quality and consistency is only rivaled by hooks 2-3 times the price in my opinion.