Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Hamilton trestle bridge (MI)

Mike,

I am quite new to the whole photography thing myself. I've wanted to learn for years, but since I didn't have anything but point-and-shoot cameras, I didn't think it was worth my time to learn more than just, well...point and shoot. smile.png

It was only after doing a couple of magazine articles that I decided to get more serious about it. Initially, it was just so I wouldn't have to rely on someone else to do all my photography for me. (I learned pretty quickly that it's pictures, NOT words that sell magazine articles!) So I upgraded to a more versatile camera, then upgraded again, and started learning. Once I started, I quickly discovered that it is a LOT of fun. I like to think I have a bit of an artisitic nature, and photography really appeals to that. I love the way it has changed the way I look at the world. I see things now that I would never have noticed before, and I see familiar objects in brand new ways.

Anyway, I did myself a good turn by purchasing a very useful book called Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs With Any Camera by Bryan Peterson. It explains how a camera creates an image in a very easy-to-understand way, much like Skip Morris's book does for fly tying. Even if you just stick with your iPhone (which takes very nice photos, by the way), understanding how exposure works will make a big difference in how you compose and shoot pictures. It's been invaluable to me.

Cheers,

Bryon

Bryon,

I will look for that book at the library and if I cannot find it I will try to snag one off Amazon......

Your pictures are AMAZING! It is hard for me to portray just what I "See" when I am in the mountains. I try but will have to look into the book you suggested before I try to justify a camera purchase to my lovely wife!

Mike :)

It is a very helpful book, whatever camera you happen to be working with. I forgot to mention that Petersen also maintains a website called digital-photography-school.com with photography forums, photo projects and challenges, instructional videos and even online classes. It's definitely worth checking out.