Fly Tying
SCFlyTyer

Popper Madness

I've been on a bit of a popper kick lately. I had a week long business trip last week, so I tied up a bunch of poppers of all different sizes and painted them in the hotel room at night. I use a combination of acrylic paints and Copic markers using their airbrush system. I coat all my foam popper bodies with Krylon Acrylic Clear Coat before painting and again with a light coat of Krylon Flexible Fixatif after painting. I then coat the poppers with slow cure (30 minute) epoxy (BSI Brand). I built myself a 36 position epoxy coater using a cheap rotisserie motor, based on a Kirk Dietrich design.

Here' set he whole batch -- probably over 350 poppers in total.

post-51034-0-43704100-1396221114_thumb.jpg

Here' some shots of the small - large ones.

post-51034-0-16753800-1396221705_thumb.jpg

post-51034-0-93774200-1396221767_thumb.jpg

post-51034-0-85691500-1396221805_thumb.jpg

post-51034-0-40387700-1396221849_thumb.jpg

My favorites are the large saltwater styles.

post-51034-0-40037800-1396221921_thumb.jpg

post-51034-0-10163300-1396221957_thumb.jpg

Now that I have all these bodies done, I'll spend the next few nights (while watching the opening games of baseball season) adding rubber legs and some other accoutrements. Then comes the finishing process adding tails, etc.

Is there some support group or rehab unit I should check into?

Here's a picture of the epoxy dryer.

post-51034-0-63820700-1396222187_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Stippled Popper -- I followed some of your excellent tips in your PDF.

I am working on a fly I call the 'Flypala.' I am attempting to mimic some of my favorite jointed spinning/casting topwater and diving lures using shaped foam. Here's a photo of the initial production batch. I tied up some prototypes last fall and tested them out and I was really happy with their action.

post-51034-0-68826900-1396227890_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, I spent some time in a friend's shop cutting out bodies and I think I have enough bodies for a hundred or so ... that should keep me busy for a week or two!!

I love em! one great thing about poppers is they are so easy to share, oh no wait, that's popcorn! Some real beauties in there!

I was wondering how much equipment do you take on the road with you? I don't have room in my luggage for fly tying materials. Of course, I do take fly fishing equipment, and stuff for work ... that leaves little room for tying. And I definitely don't have room for a drying rack, painting and popper body shaping equipment.

But then ... I am also not so addicted to tying that I NEED to have any of that stuff with me.

More power to you.

You have real nice life long supply of poppers. Just to be a nice fella I will let you send me 3 or 4 of the green with yellow and orange belly versions. I will finish them up for you and send you a pic of the finished product. I like to help out my fellow fishermen.

SC, those look great! I'm impressed with your turner, came out pretty good. Those flypalas look good too. The Copics are really a blast to paint with. I did recently discover that their lighter colors will fade after some time; the chart turns light blue and the yellow fades. I asked the company about that and they said that being a dye and not having any UV inhibitors, that they are not surprised. What I have done to hopefully counteract that is to use a single coat of chart or yellow in hopes of having some color after the dye fades.

Of course this is only a problem for OCD popper makers like you and myself that have more untied popper heads in storage than in our flyboxes. If you paint, tie and fish then it's a mute point.

Kirk

mikechell - I usually don't take much fly tying equipment with me on the road. In the past, I have traveled with a vise and tools, but TSA is far too variable for that (I usually travel only with carry on luggage) and I don't want to donate any tools. Most of my trips are 2-3 days and I can usually go without tying for that long. On this trip, I was driving and gone for an entire week, so I brought a Plano 3700 box filled with preshaped, prefabbed poppers that were ready for painting. In a second Plano 3700, I had my paints and brushes. My Copic markers and airbrush system take up just a little space and I use their cans of compressed air when in travel. The whole mess fit Ina fairly small shoulder bag.

Kirk - most of my Copic use has been dark over light with the base coat being acrylic paint. I have thought about getting one of their 'colorless' markers and trying to add some of my own colors. It may be possible to use the Copic as a delivery system for UV-resistant inks.

One of the reasons for the large batch is that I am playing around with the thought of doing some hobby-business tying post retirement ... roughly 18 months away. I'm not looking for a full time gig or much income, other than covering supply costs. This was a good test of a production like processed good stress release from the current grind!

I see you mentioned a pdf. where mite I be able to get it from? I love tying poopers for bass and they are so much fun to fish too.

The PDF is available by looking at Stippled Popper's profile page. It's a great piece of work and provides a lot of great ideas. I have gotten great tips from so many members of this forum.

Ah, sounds good! You will make more than just your expenses although it may be at the rate of $10 per hour. If you continue to make quality bugs like I see, you may be a good candidate for traveling to clubs to give demonstrations and that is where the benefits will make up for the minimum income. The people you meet is the value.

Kirk