Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Do you use "scent" on your flies ?

Will do. I'll be in Florida next week. I don't get to fish that often so I may try it. You think a dab on the clouser nose would work? Does it ruin the flies?

The procure menhaden has not helped me with the gator trout so maybe I'll try the shrimp flavor. I can't believe how skittish the big seatrout are around here lately ( east central Florida ) but they have been getting nice ones on plugs though since they can fling them much farther out. They are out there and eating just gotta be very quiet and stealthy with the flies.

I got a nice Gator yesterday with the Shrimp. Great fight. Amazing the pound for pound difference between 18``and 24`` trout. It`s like a geometric progression in strength. Sure put a bend in my 8 wt !!

GG34, the gel stays on the flies a long time, but does not ruin them. They get a bit `rubbery` but the gel does not seem to dry out even after sitting for days. You`ll know what I mean once you try it.

There's an old bottle of Cortland May Fly scented dry fly spray on the fly tying bench that I thought was a waterproofing floatant at the time . Don't think it made any difference in catch ratio. Now there was the time a fishing friend swamped the boat on a rock ledge & the crawfish oil got an Exxon Valdez slick going down river. The Clouser crayfish flies got scented soaked & the bass bite was on even as the friend was fishing spinning gear ! The furry foam disintegrated after sitting around for a year or two & ruined them. Now if you have scent from saltwater fish caught on a fly, where's the freshwater wash down station when you're wading the flats so the fly fishing purists don't come & cut the bite tippet & fly off or if the fly ends up in the live bait well for a shrimpy scent on a boat?