Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RJD31

Catskill Flies Fly Shop

I purchased a couple Collins capes from them a couple of years ago. I had no problems with the transaction. Shipping was fast. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. I would consider ordering directly from Charlie next time as I think he's got a little better selection. The only downside is that he doesn't take credit cards and it's kind of a pain to have to send him a check or money order before he sends the order.

All I use is the Collins hackle. I get it straight from Charlie since the shipping is cheaper. If you are looking for a specific color, you can send Charlie a sample (preferably a small patch from the neck of the color you're looking for) and he can usually match it up for you. He will send your sample back to you also. His Hen sets for wets/nymphs are phenomenal. Charlie is a great guy.

All I use is the Collins hackle. I get it straight from Charlie since the shipping is cheaper. If you are looking for a specific color, you can send Charlie a sample (preferably a small patch from the neck of the color you're looking for) and he can usually match it up for you. He will send your sample back to you also. His Hen sets for wets/nymphs are phenomenal. Charlie is a great guy.

I sent him sample feathers of one of his own honey dun hen necks that I had bought previously when I was looking for another one, and he did return the sample, writing that he didn't have anything like it. I've played phone tag with him as well, and he always returns the call saying that if I'm looking for a specific color, he doesn't have it because he's not going to look through all of his capes in a color range to try and match what I want. If I want a general color, it's not a problem. He also doesn't always write "dyed" on the card backing for his capes when they are dyed. He uses a technique where just the feathers go into the bath so it looks like it's an un-dyed cape from the skin color when it's really not. It may sound like I'm bashing the guy, but I'm just being honest. He does have good quality cape hackle, but he could do a lot to improve customer service / ease of access just by communicating on his web site using the internet and not relying on an old phone answering machine where he tells you to talk slowly and clearly regarding a hackle stock question. I can post a pic of one of his dyed capes that aren't labeled that way if needed too. Sorry, that's just deceptive.

Regards,

Mark

MVENDON. I agree that in this day and age he needs to bring his internet up to speed instead of relying on the phone and answering machine. Sometimes it is hard to get a hold of him BUT he always calls me back. He has never told me that he wasn't going to look for a specific color. I guess that being older, his "customer service" is what he was brought up with and I don't foresee him changing his old habits. Charlie has always treated me well. As far a the dye job, I haven't had an issue with that.

I'm in a bad situation here as I have no fly shop close by. The nearest one is 2 hours away (on a good day). So I have to mostly rely on mail order for my hackle and that really sucks. That's why I kind of like Charlie. But I must say that the FLY SHOP in CA will hand pick colors for me while I'm on the phone with them although they don't carry Collins Hackle. They are a great bunch of guys.