Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spm

Braided leader

I noticed another member recently asked about tapered leaders and received several responses suggesting using a furled leader and I didn't want to jack his topic, but it prompted a question of my own.

I use the Orvis braded leaders and they come with a tapered monofiliment leader. So, I attach the braded leader to my fly line and the mono to the braided, right? Then, to save the tapered mono I have been adding an additional short tippet to that. Is this the correct way to tie this leader? And does a furled leader perform the same function as the Orvis braided leader?

Thanks for the help.

steve

Yes, the furled leader is the butt section of your leader. The 6 strands of 8/0 thread at the end give you a really fine tip. You finish it by adding however much tippet you feel comfortable with. I usually add about 24" of 2x or 3x, and then as much as 36" of 4x or 5x. As the furled leaders I make are about 6' long, that gives me a 10' to 11' leader setup.

Of course, I go longer or shorter as the situation requires. I even make a short 4.5' furled leader for small streams where a 6' to 7' total leader length is all that is required (think small, high gradient brook trout streams.)

You're rigging your braided leaders correctly. Adding lengths of tippet is a normal procedure with any leader, as your leader will last a bit longer (among other benefits). When the included tapered mono sections are toast, just sub with a 2- or 3- step knotted section of your own.

It's been years since I've fished an Orvis braided leader, and then it was only briefly. I recall liking their casting qualities more than I cared for the spray. I only fished them in clear rivers, but I understand others complained of the hollow braid holding crud and muck. I don't think I had an issue with that.

I can't make a good comparison between furled and braided leaders since close to ten years lapsed between my last braided leader and when I began furling my own. In general, yes, the braided and furled sections are limp, lack memory, and turn over similarly.

Since trying "poly leaders" a while back, I haven't considered braided leaders again.

Is this the braided leader you have?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2A07

If so, you really shouldn't need to be adding a tapered mono leader to it, just your tippet. However, if it's working for you, that's not to say it's wrong.

Yes

Soooo, why does Orvis include it in the package?

heres what it says on the orvis web page

"These braided nylon leaders with Bimini tippets are ideal for delicate dry-fly presentations. Superior turnover power allows for long tippet extensions. Original braided fly-fishing leaders are four times as supple as solid monofilament. Floating braided leaders are impregnated with a water-repellent formula that eliminates spray over wary fish. One leader and two 4' Bimini tippets per pack. Leaders come in floating or original design, in 7.5' and 9' lengths. Choose desired leader type, then length, and finally match it up with the rod weight of your choice. Bimini tippet spools sold separately, and contain four 5' tippets. Made in USA."

its a 2 part leader. lets assume its 9 feet long

part 1 is the 5 foot long braided leader and part 2 is the 4 foot long bimini tippet section that equals a 9 foot long leader

there will be a loop to loop connection to put the 2 parts together. then all you would have to do is tie in your fly to the end of the bimini tippet.

or you could extend the life of the bimini tippet by adding some straight mono tippet to the end of the bimini tippet same as you would do to extend the life of a plain old tapered leader

Soooo, why does Orvis include it in the package?

Slight misunderstanding of the terms. Orvis includes "bimini tippets". As flytire posted & the Orvis description states, you can add additional tippets.

"Tapered mono leaders" are generally a single piece of extruded material, that is a complete leader to which you can also add tippet material.

I hought that was what they meant in the instructions, but had started questioning myself.

Thanks for all the responses.

steve

I have been fishing furled leaders from Feathercraft and theirs come with a micro ring to attach the tippet to. Much easier and last longer than the loop to loops I have used.