Fly Tying
earthtech

Kingfisher or Peak Rotary

I am looking at either a Dyna-King Kingfisher or Peak Rotary. What are some thoughts on both of these and are there other vises I should look at in this price range?

Take a look at the Regal. It is a great vise. I started using them 30 years ago and still use the original one I purchased.

I second ROTW. Regal looks like the last vise I'll be using.

Have had lots of different brands / types, but wish I'd tried a Regal a long time ago.

If you prefer rotary, the Peak is better suited. If you prefer a traditional vise, the Kingfisher is better suited. If it were up to me, I'd get the Peak because it is rotary and that's what I prefer. This is just my opinion (And I tie frequently with the Peak and with the Dyna-King), but the Kingfisher might be better at holding really big hooks, but the Peak will be better at holding the smaller stuff.

I purchased a Peak Rotary from Hook & Hackle........

I havent started tying yet (in a few hours I will thanks to Project Healing Waters in Denver).....but a lot of folks really like the Peak Rotary....

One of the reasons I purchased it was because they are LOCAL to me and they support PHWFF.........

I am way too new to comment on it's merits vs another vise......

I havent started tying yet (in a few hours I will thanks to Project Healing Waters in Denver).....but a lot of folks really like the Peak Rotary....

One of the reasons I purchased it was because they are LOCAL to me and they support PHWFF.........

Those are valid enough reasons for me. Good luck with your tying.

The Peak is the more versatile of the two choices. The Kingfisher is a nice solid vise, but it only rotates as opposed to the Peak which is "true rotary". If you are looking at a pedestal vise (I would recommend), the Peak is again the better choice because the Kingfisher's base is too small to be stable, in my experience.

Dyna-King makes excellent vises, however the more comparable model for the Peak would be the Trekker, and it is not in the same price range.

For other choices, use the search function and start reading. This is a VERY common discussion.

Thanks !!!

For me, and only ME, I tested out a few vises that made me feel like they were simple vises...LOL......

I have the opportunity here in Colorado with local fly shops to actually see how things work (granted I DON'T understand the nuances of them all) but I found a vise that SHOULD work for ME.....

My brother sent me an old AA vise? It is simple....it works.....it was well worn but he told me a few things that I have to pass on......

When he used it it was well worth the twenty bucks he spent on it......but he found that within a few months he wanted to "upgrade"......

Hmmm....what should a new fly tying guy do? His advice pushed me to a GOOD rotary vise. Hence I elected to go to the Peak. It didn't break the bank and it is a quality vise.

I have to say I am JUST STARTING out and my Peak JUST arrived this AM........so we will see how "she" works.....

A caveat, I haven't tied a fly yet but I would rather "Buy once, cry once" and get a vise that will let me get into the rotary things .....

Will I use it now......probably not....however, if I do need it in the future, I have the option available to me.

In the long run, I think I'll be happy........Just my thoughts....

Mike :)

Thanks !!!

For me, and only ME, I tested out a few vises that made me feel like they were simple vises...LOL......

I have the opportunity here in Colorado with local fly shops to actually see how things work (granted I DON'T understand the nuances of them all) but I found a vise that SHOULD work for ME.....

My brother sent me an old AA vise? It is simple....it works.....it was well worn but he told me a few things that I have to pass on......

When he used it it was well worth the twenty bucks he spent on it......but he found that within a few months he wanted to "upgrade"......

Hmmm....what should a new fly tying guy do? His advice pushed me to a GOOD rotary vise. Hence I elected to go to the Peak. It didn't break the bank and it is a quality vise.

I have to say I am JUST STARTING out and my Peak JUST arrived this AM........so we will see how "she" works.....

A caveat, I haven't tied a fly yet but I would rather "Buy once, cry once" and get a vise that will let me get into the rotary things .....

Will I use it now......probably not....however, if I do need it in the future, I have the option available to me.

In the long run, I think I'll be happy........Just my thoughts....

Mike smile.png

Funny you say that you might not use the rotary feature. My son just barely got the tying "bug" (he's 10) and I set him up with the Peak vise. Without telling him how to tie rotary style, he naturally used the rotary function after him seeing me rotate my vise (Griffin Mongoose). There are just some things that are made much more easy with a rotary vise that you will figure out naturally. Wrapping hackle, chenille etc is really simple.

I own the peak and would greatly recommend it. If the range is the thing that your worried about don't be. I know guys that tie size 8/0 with the standard jaws and I know other people that tie size 30's on it. Very good vise for the price.

I bought a peak about a month ago after tying on a regal for years. At first I didn't really love the Peak but the more I use it the more I pick it over the Regal. I didn't think the Rotary would be that great but I use it A LOT!