Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
thursthouse

Favorite Green Drake pattern

I'll be heading out to Penns Creek, PA this year and might incidentally be there for the Green Drake hatch. I've never fished this particular hatch before, but from my understanding it brings out some big trout. I've been told that the hatch doesn't really start until after dark and with that in mind, was wondering what your favorite/most effective pattern was for fishing this hatch. Do you use a high vis type pattern? Do you just tie on your favorite pattern and trust in your casting ability in the dark? Any recommendations would be very helpful and much appreciated.

This is a turkey flats winged version I like. It is actually a Western Green Drake (small). I think the Eastern Green Drakes are not so "green". But the general pattern (with colors adapted) should work, I think.

image_zps7094480e.jpg

A lot of times on Penns you'll find the sulphur hatch in full swing. Most times I'll use the #12 sulphur spinner instead of the coffin fly. If you've never fished that hatch, you are in for a treat. It will look like a snow blizzaed at time. The flies will start to appear shortly after dusk and continue for hours. Good Luck

Thank you for the tips ROTW. Have never fished that hatch nor that river (Our initial plan was to spend a few days in the middle of nowhere (within driving distance) and just camp, hike, fish repeat. Then we come to find out this famous bug may be hatching and could bring the circus to town - haha oh - can't tell you how excited I am at the possiblity of being there at the right time for the hatch...pure dumb luck

THURSTHOUSE. you're welcome. I don't know when you are planning to go, but the Drakes should be starting around Memorial Day and last for about a week or so. It may be a little later this year because of the very cold weather we have been having. I'll be there 27th-30th camping at Poe Paddy State Park then following it up the Delaware into New York. Any large white colored fly tied as a spinner would do well for you also. The Dette Coffin Fly that PHG gave a link to is a pretty good imitation. Good luck to you!!!

1st is a dun, 2nd is a spinner then the flies to match size 8-12 Last 2 photos are of the green drake here on Pine !

post-624-0-53077400-1396572461_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-29324400-1396572515_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-99201700-1396572571_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-52156100-1396572710_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-43727200-1396572879_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-90962100-1396573146_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-65612600-1396573184_thumb.jpg

ROTW we'll at Penns the 29th-1st. We looked at Poe Daddy but decided we wanted somewhere a little more "remote". So we ended up getting a permit for a campsite almost directly across the river from where you'll be staying. If you see two guys completely lost - stop and say hi.

sandlyx - that's extremely helpful! thank you!

Didn't realize that the eastern Green Drakes were so much more pale before I started this thread so I'm glad I asked! appreciate all the info gents.

Got some flies to tie...some big drys at that..should be a nice change

THURSTHOUSE. You won't be the only ones on the stream that will look completely lost!!! LOL. Good Luck and maybe see you there. Remember the Sulphurs will be coming of at that time also.

crowds, crowds and more crowds,-- I'll be here with no crowds and fishing green drakes and brown drakes.