Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jfish

Looking for really small beads

It seems like the smallest beads I can find are 1.5mm. I bought a few rojo midge in size 22 or 24 from Cabelas and they have 2 very small beads on the head that are about half the size of the 1.5mms that I have.

Does anyone know what these are called or where I can get some? This pattern is just killer on a spring creek I fish.

Thanks

Also looking for some blue or purple 70UTC thread. I don't think those colors are available so what would be the equivalent?

Try Feather-Craft or J. Stockard. They both have a great selection

Also looking for some blue or purple 70UTC thread. I don't think those colors are available so what would be the equivalent?

white and permanent markers

the rojo beads might be glass seed beads and can be found in your local hobby/craft store

They were definitely not metal. I think I'll see about ordering some of the 20/0.

Bead sizing seems to be done on a rather flexible scale. How many times have you ordered one size of bead only to receive ones of a different size? It has happened to me plenty and often. I have some 1.5mm beads from Allen Fly Fishing. I put one into my digital callipers and, unusually, they read 1.5mm across the widest part. Here's a size 20 PTN with two for the thorax.

post-43582-0-05603500-1396544255_thumb.jpg

You could get away with them on smaller hooks if you elevate the beads as I've done on this one. However, size 24 would be pushing it a little. That said, hook sizing seems to be done on a similarly flexible scale as beads. Some size 24s would be fine, while others not.

As Colin points out it can often be difficult to get seed beads around the bend of hooks. That is if you can get them over the barb in the first place. If you take a needle, a little stouter than the wire of the hooks you are going to use, when you go to select your beads, threading some onto the needle should give you an indication if you will be able to get them onto your hooks. They should slide up and down the needle easily. Many will not have a big enough bore of hole. Almost certainly you will not find counter bored beads like the metal ones we use. As they are smooth and brittle you will have great difficulty boring them out.

Cheers,

C.

unless you have actually measured the seed bead inner diameter and the diameter of the hook shank, how do you know it wont fit?

the diameter of the hook shank of a size 22 is not the same as a size 16

since the original poster has/had some of them in his possession then it seems its possible the bead will fit

pinching down the barb makes it a lot easier for beads to fit around the point

beads do not have to be counterbored to fit around the bend of the hook. it might be a little harder but it can be done with a little effort

Oh they will fit on some hooks, I use them often. But likes of 200r can be hit and miss. Even out of the same packet of 25 hooks, the bead will fit on one but not another.

By all means buy a selection of seed beads from a craft store, cheap and huge variety of colours. Just don't be put off when they don't fit on the first hook out the bag.

If you want really X-small glass beads ; Half the size of craft store seed beads . Spirit River " Glass Beads X-SM are what you are looking for and almost any fly shop can order them for you from Spirit River. I use these in copper color for some of my #20 and #22 micro midges.

unless you have actually measured the seed bead inner diameter and the diameter of the hook shank, how do you know it wont fit?

since the original poster has/had some of them in his possession then it seems its possible the bead will fit

Yes it is correct that some beads will fit, many though, will not. I was simply suggesting a simple way to make sure before buying them. Not being made for fly tying getting the beads onto a hook is not a consideration for the makers. Finding the right bead to fit becomes rather expensive if you have to buy several packs before getting the right size. In the absence of the knowledge of exactly which bead has been used, selection of the right bead needs more than blind luck.

Perhaps a better question is, if you haven't measured the the diameter of the hook shank and inner bore of the bead how do you know it will fit?

the diameter of the hook shank of a size 22 is not the same as a size 16

Maybe that's why I suggested a size comparison with the hook to be used.

pinching down the barb makes it a lot easier for beads to fit around the point

Fine if you do not want a barbed hook. If you do then making sure the bead will fit is even more important.

beads do not have to be counterbored to fit around the bend of the hook. it might be a little harder but it can be done with a little effort

No they don't, and it does make fitting them easier. Perhaps that is why so many beads intended for fly tying are? Applying force to seed beads will often result in breaking the bead. Another reason to check the size before you buy.

I don't know if it was your intent Flytier, but your post seems very negative. No one has said it isn't possible to find the right bead. My intent was purely to help Jfish avoid the pitfalls. I know from experience that some will not fit any hook, I have several useless packs, and have learned the hard way.

Cheers,

C.