Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kenneyk

SW fly hooks

Hi everyone,

Throughout recent years I've used mostly Mustad 34007, sizes 6 through 1 for bonefish and 1 through 3/0 for tarpon. Now there are so many companies that make stronger, sharper hooks. I like they looks of the Gamakatsu Octopus size 6 through 3/0 (red, and nickle = NS black?), but they look slightly offset. Has anyone used these for flies or have a preference on others?

Thanks!

Kenney

I've stuck with Mustads but have bought a few other brands of saltwater hooks recently, but have not had a chancew to experiment with them yet...

The Mustads are relatively more available here, so I'll probably continue using them in the main.

Mark Delaney

I'm pretty sure Mark Seddotti was using those - he just bent the hook straight no big deal.

I love the Varias hooks but I must say they are too expensive to be losing on rocks generally only use they for Bonito or FA.

I use the Gamakatsu Octopus for one of my stonefly patterns. I like the black tint of the hook as well.

user posted image

Ken cool.gif

Seems as if Varivas has gone belly up and their remaining hooks are only available from a shop in New Jersey and Chris Windram at Saltwaterflies.com. Here's the content of a communication between a trusted friend and I:

"Hi Steve.

I could only devote Friday to the show and only to the UFT booth. I didn't have any time to look around or find or buy anything. What's the story on Varivas and how do I get any - from You or how?

Thanks. Dave."

"Chris Windram at saltwaterflies.com has some left in certain sizes and Francine at Down n Trout in Jersey has the last known stash but the shop won`t be open till after the Somerset show. Varivas went belly up and no more are being made."

What a kick in the a$$ that is- one of the finest hooks I've ever seen or tied on, I will seriously reconsider using my remaining Varivas, unless it's to tie display plates for the house.

Mustad Signature Series hooks have raised the bar a bit over their prior saltwater standards at not disgusting prices. I'm sure many of you have tried them- let's hear your comments.

TMC and Gamakatsu fans will rarely be disappointed either.

Another alternative are the Eagle Claw Billy Pate hooks. They're sharp out of the box and are very strong for the money.

Sign in to follow this