Fly Tying
add147

Chenille Question???

Hello,

Since I am a newbie I have a stupid question concerning chenille. I have been buys some supplies on Ebay because where I live there's just not a lot of fly shops out and about. My question is can I use the chenille from craft stores? Some of the chenille that I have ordered from Ebay is very small in length but I seen at some crafts store I can get different chenille for about the same price I am paying on Ebay and a lot more in quanity. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!!!

You can certainly use it. Most chenille sold for fly tying comes from these sources. What you don't get is the kind of description you get on a pack sold for fly tying. If you are buying for, say, knitting you have different considerations than the fly tier does. If you are sure that you are getting what you want then go for it.

Cheers,

C.

Be careful that the craft store chenille is not metal core which rusts. Or worse cotton which will rot out. If it is neither id say go for it. If you want to buy in bulk there are some sellers ( not on ebay ). Danville chenille is one of the larger mfg of fly tying threads and its all here in the usa. You can buy direct. They may have minimums. Buy you may be able to split the minimum between two colors. Look them up on the web.

be aware that most craft shops may not carry the same size of chenille that is used in fly tying

i have never seen danvilles fly tying sizes of chenille sold in any craft shops in my area

You can certainly use it from craft stores. The only thing is that the size range (thickness) is going to be limited. W. W. Doak & Sons in New Brunswick sells chenille by the skein (72yards) for $15 Canadian (13.50 usd). They have a great selection of materials if you don't mind ordering from Canada. I get a lot of materials from them especially for Salmon Flies.

Most craft shops will have a size chart on hand like the one below. You wouldn't want to go larger than a size 2 and that you'd probably only use on big Woolly Buggers. Ask and I'm sure they'll have a chart on hand. You can see the colors available in Rayon and Nylon core chenille at the Danville site here's the link.

http://www.danvillechenille.com/rayonchenille.htm

sizechart.jpg

Thanks for the chart. I knew there were different sizes but not that many.

Most craft shops will have a size chart on hand like the one below. You wouldn't want to go larger than a size 2 and that you'd probably only use on big Woolly Buggers. Ask and I'm sure they'll have a chart on hand. You can see the colors available in Rayon and Nylon core chenille at the Danville site here's the link.

http://www.danvillechenille.com/rayonchenille.htm

sizechart.jpg

Craft stores are great resources for lots of different materials. I can't resist strolling through the aisles of any craft store I come across.

Craft stores are great resources for lots of different materials. I can't resist strolling through the aisles of any craft store I come across.

Ditto that. If I wasn't so lazy, I would direct you to a thread where people talked about their craft store finds.

As far as buying chenille in bulk, I don't use very much of it, so the card of chenille I buy for $2 from a fly tying supplier lasts me a long time and doesn't take up much room, plus I get it in the sizes that are useful to me as a tier. I suppose were I a professional tier it might make sense to buy chenille in mass quantities but, as I said, I don't use much of it.

I have looked for chenille in our local craft stores (Joanns and Hobby Lobby), and all I find is the metal core these days. Years ago, I bought hanks of brown and cream color chenille, and have a lifetime supple of that, but I am not finding it lately. I do find a nice variety of glass beads (Czech beads) all sizes and colors down to 10/0 and 11/0, one tube will last forever. Smaller beads and brass beads I only find at fly shops. Other things I get at craft stores: sewing thread, yarn, markers, plastic storage boxes for organizing materials, stretch magic, marabou.

tjeeper,

I'll have to check out the Hobby Lobby where I work and see if they have any marabou. Good idea on the beads! I'll give that a try as well!!!

One caution about craft store purchases for fly tying: be sure any dyed materials are waterproof. I bought some black marabou once that didn't stay black after it was on the flies and fished....

Tight lines,

Bob

Tailing looper,

Good point...A lot of the stuff in Hobby Lobby is made in China...LOL

Tailing looper,

Good point...A lot of the stuff in Hobby Lobby is made in China...LOL

One of my other hobbies is R/C. I live in a rural area and there are no stores around that carry R/C stuff. I read in the newspaper that Hobby Lobby is planning to open a store in Glens Falls, NY (25 miles from me) and possibly another store in Rutland, VT (also 25 miles from me). I'll be excited to have a Hobby Lobby (or two!) within reasonable driving distance! Heck, a lot of the stuff in ANY store these days in made in China. :-(

Tight lines,

Bob