Fly Tying

So this summer I may have the opportunity to live and work in terrace bc from the start of may to end of august, I was wondering what sorts of fishing opportunities are available, what types of flies and what wt rods to bring with me? Ill be bringing my fly tying stuff with me but I just wanted a general start to some patterns I should be tying before I head out there, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Oh buddy, jealous! You are going to be in what i would call the town of flyfishing Mecca! Just in town near the bridge you will see a gravel bar covered with dudes with spey rods, all species of pacific salmon and steelhead plus trout are caught there you just have to rotate that spot. Make friends with dudes who own jet boats for access to more remote areas of skeena main, you got the kitimat right there with easy access from the highway too, copper river is steelhead land, dean, oh the list goes on plus some unique wilderness such as spirit bears. Grab a backroads mapbook for Northern BC.

The times i have been there doing the DIY 4wd type fishing has been incredible, a lot of fly only areas, special regs, classified waters - so get to know the rules, as a Canadian citizen you will have more access than others.

Some tribs are big and skeena main is huge, full spey will serve you well....

Flies, for the salmon just small singles, for the steelhead intruders will be good, for the trout just your usual stuff (a great trout spot is the lakelse river)

May is early steelhead, by June the sockeye will be coming in, along with the rest, timings for each trib and river are different tho.

Enjoy

BOOK A TRIP WITH APRIL VOKEY !!!

Not only does she seem to be a great guide, judging from her site ... but I can't imagine the scenery being any better than glancing around and having her in the foreground.

I have fished mostly the Kitimat River in that part of the world.

Big water so if you have a two hander and know how to use it do so. Steelhead roll in in April and I had a great time with Chum and Springs in I think it was around the July long weekend. FFJam has provided some great advise for this area and spots.

Be Bear Aware, not afraid, Aware! I commonly encountered bears, never had an issue as they are well fed. I do carry bear spray when I fish those places.

Perfect! Just built my new spey rod yesterday waiting for wraps to dry, ill be heading out in a week, will definetly post some pics too :D