Fly Tying
JoshMeyers

First Post!

Just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone. I've been tying for trout for about 2 years now and I recently became very interested in tying larger flies for pike and bass but can't find much info on it. Could someone maybe give me a list of the basic materials needed for these big patterns? Does anyone have a preferred website that they get these big synthetic materials from? Info is much appreciated! Thanks all!

Lots and lots of info on here about what you are looking at. Use the search function and you can read for days.

flytyersdungeon.com is widely regarded as a leader in synthetics, but any reputable source will have things.

Welcome Josh. I am pretty new here myself but have already learned a bunch. As to your question, there are also a few books on the subject you might look for. I believe Barry Reynolds has published one which is easy to find in the US. I believe that there are books published in the UK covering the subject.

Steve

I always answer this question by reminding folks to check out the Fly Pattern Database (see link at the top of this page). You can search by topic (including fish species). I've gotten lots of patterns and ideas from the database. Some of them don't have detailed tying instructions (detailed enough for beginners), but if you see one you want to try, you can google the fly name and "fly tying pattern", and usually find either a detailed instruction, or a youtube showing the entire process.

Good luck!

I always answer this question by reminding folks to check out the Fly Pattern Database (see link at the top of this page). You can search by topic (including fish species). I've gotten lots of patterns and ideas from the database. Some of them don't have detailed tying instructions (detailed enough for beginners), but if you see one you want to try, you can google the fly name and "fly tying pattern", and usually find either a detailed instruction, or a youtube showing the entire process.

Good luck!

Every time I try to click on the database it just pulls up a white blank page. Not sure why

I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Maybe someone else will see your post and offer help. Meantime, first try clicking on one of the alternatives, such as search by topic.

If that doesn't work, click on Forums (above), then scroll down to General Discussion Forums, and select the one on Site Help.

Sorry you can't open it. I subscribed to it, so I get an email once a week or so, every time it has been updated with new flies/patterns.

Good luck.

Check out www.spanglefish.com that's the website ran by McFluffchucker. Great guy and has some good stuff to get you going. Might look at a couple of my YouTube via as well like the hot core and Scum frog.

Steve