Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Thoughts on Books

Recently I find that the net is the main source of info for flies and patterns but I still like to look over a good book every now and then.

Accepting the fact that one mans Shakespeare is anothers Hello magazine I am trying to look for some opinions on the following books. Really I am looking for

1. quality of SBS.
  2. range of patterns
  3. History included about some/all
  4. longevity.

Okay so the books I've been eyeing are

1. Tying Flies with CDC: The Fisherman's Miracle Feather by Leon Links
  2. Fly Pattern Encyclopedia: Over 1600 of the Best Fly Patterns (Federation of Fly Fishers) Al Beatty (Editor), Gretchen Beatty (Editor), Jim Schollmeyer (Photographer)
  3. Tying Small Flies by Ed Engle
  4. Micropatterns: Tying and Fishing the Small Fly by Darrel Martin

Sorry, can´t help with anything. I haven´t read any of those, but i´m also interested in the Leon Links book.

Of the four you list I have owned and read two. The Leon Links CdC book, and Darrel Martin's Micropatterns.

Tying Flies with CDC: The Fisherman's Miracle Feather. While it contains a lot of great information it didn't go as far as I had hoped. In particular I would have liked more info on Marc Petitjean's techniques and patterns. I understand why it isn't there but it was a disappointment. That said though still a worthwhile book

Micropatterns was one of the biggest influences on my tying and fishing ever. It is a brilliant, schollerly, work and well worth getting.

For reasons I've mentioned before I now have neither of these books. If things were different I would consider purchasing both again.

Maybe, in a while, Colin, I'll have something new for you to read. I know what it looks like and have made a start, but other circumstances are rather forcing my attention elsewhere just now. If things work out soon watch out around the end of the year.

Cheers,

C.

I'll keep an eye an ear open. Think the micropattern book has the edge over the CDC one. Seen a few reviews where people suggest the CDC one stops short of where it could have been.

I just bought the CDC book and so far have found it interesting. I shows a lot of ways to use CDC that I was not familar with before. I do not own any of the other books, but any book by Al, Gretchen and Jim would be worth taking the time for a good look. Just saw all three of them at the North West Fly Tying Expo in Oregon.

Recently I find that the net is the main source of info for flies and patterns but I still like to look over a good book every now and then.

[snip]

Personally, I think your criteria are somewhat unrealistic, in the sense that they are conflicting factors, e.g. number of SBS will be limited if you want a lot of patterns, number of words reduces number of pictures, etc. Have read all four of your choices, and Links is the only one I would strongly recommend, although I liked Engle's book as well, not because of the insights into fly tying (in fact the patterns are repetitve and not all that interesting), but because describes nicely the method he applied to the sort of streams he fishes and nicely outlines the evolution of his approach. I've been generally dissappointed with all of the 'midge' books, because as you would guess, there really isn't that much to the patterns themselves.

I have the FFF Fly pattern encyclopedia and it is all pictures and recipes. No step by step, no history. The only criteria it has is range of patterns, which it has lots of. Most of the patterns are unique or variants, you won't find a recipe for an Adams or pheasant tail nymph but you will find many variants of an Adams or PT.

Tying small flies, Ed Engle. A very informative book and I recommend it for anyone that ties and fishes small flies. Not only does he get into tying the tiny ones, more is explained of techniques for success. A great reference book indeed.

The Leon Links CDC book is a great read. It gives the tyer a great overview of many uses for CDC. As we know most of which have come from Europe. The photography of this book I find is rather good, which makes it nice if you are trying to make a tie look like the picture. With a head full of ideas it is easy to search the web for a technique that you might not know or can figure out by looking at the photo

Thanks for replies.

Whatfly, I appreciate that SbS mean fewer words. I should quantify that to mean what SbS there are are clear and add some value. Your comments on Engles book seeming repetitive hit then nail.

I like the sound of the FFF book but have several books that are catalogues of patterns so not sure I need another.

I own Tying Small Flies, Ed Engle, and Leon Links CDC book. Engle's has some good information on hooks and thread. To me the patterns are ok. The CDC book has nice information for beginners using CDC, like myself. Another book I like is 'Tying Flies the ParaLoop Way'. To me an easier alternative to tying parachute flies. I would aslo add some soft hackle tying books and a classic streamer book to the mix.

Our library has the micro patterns book and I seem to check it out a lot. It has great info on each pattern. The photos are ok since the book is aging but still very applicable.

Your comments on Engles book seeming repetitive hit then nail.

[snip]

Just to clarify, the patterns are indeed repetitive (nature of the flies) but the content is not. Engles' book is quite good and a must read for folks who fish small flies in my mind. It is just not a very good 'pattern book' nor a mere SBS beginner's book.